Mailing List Archive

PythonOnWheels (PoW)
Hi,

I am announcing PythonOnWheels. (short PoW)

Projectname: PythonOnWheels
Motto: We are only on wheels but it feels like having wings ;)

A quick and easy to use generative Web framework for python.

STOP: I know what you are thinking: " What the world doen't need are more
lawyers and python web frameworks"

And you are right. But I am announcing this mostly to get feedback from
the community. Any feedback is welcome.

Some years ago I saw a screencast about ruby on rails and that really blew my
mind. I Searched something equivalant for python but found only micro or mega
frameworks.
So I think there is even some space for PoW. Besides the fun I had and have developing it ;)
The idea is to make the developer focus on his/her App instead of the framework.

List of Features (not complete)
-------------------------------------
* Model View Controller
* Uses the well proven Ruby On Rails principles
** convention over configuration
** generate_model, generate_controller, generate_migration
* Scaffolding dabei
** generate_scaffold
* JQuery integration
* AJAX
* Responsive Layout based on Twitter Bootstrap
* Lightweight - simple and easy to use
* Nose Tests
* automatically generate for you. runtest script to run them
* Database Migrations
* web app generation with batteries included:
** Session support
** basic authentication (Beta 2)
* Runs with Apache & mod_wsgi
* includes a ready to run simple_server
* full environment on your laptop, mac or pc

Coming for Beta 1:
---------------------
* Observer pattern
* Validation (as a plugin)

Screencast:
-------------
Weblog with PythonOnWheels in 10 minutes. -> http://bit.ly/QAmoxX

Homepage:
----------
http://www.pythononwheels.org

Get it on Github:
------------------
https://github.com/pythononwheels/pow_devel/tree/beta1

(Be sure to take the beta1 branch (as of 03.08.20120))

Prerequsites:
----------------

I did not reinvent the wheel but rely on the brilliant and proven standards out there
so PoW (and you) will need:

webob (pip or easy_install)
Mako (pip or easy_install)
Beaker (pip or easy_install)