Mailing List Archive

pgpsafeperl ? (fwd)
perhaps the author or users of this might give us an update?

------- start of forwarded message -------
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
From: dkuhlman@netcom.com (G. David Kuhlman)
Subject: pgpsafeperl ?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:55:22 GMT
Sender: dkuhlman@netcom8.netcom.com

A while back I saw a message about pgpsafeperl. Is there
such a thing? Where can I learn more about it?

--
----------------------
Dave Kuhlman
Re: pgpsafeperl ? (fwd) [ In reply to ]
At 7:31 PM 1/1/96, Felix Gallo wrote:
>If anyone
>has a perl or XS-able C implementation of public key encryption
>which they can legally send to a british citizen living in the
>U.S. [...]

My understanding (thrice-removed hearsay, be warned) was that the 3.0
release of PGP will be or include a C library for exactly these sorts of
purposes. I know that doesn't do you any good at the moment, but it might
be worth poking around sci.crypt for news and holding out until then.

Perhaps you know all of this; just a suggestion.

M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Re: pgpsafeperl ? (fwd) [ In reply to ]
Re: pgpsafeperl ? (fwd) [ In reply to ]
> From: Felix Gallo <fsg@coriolan.amicus.com>
>
> Tom writes:
> > perhaps the author or users of this might give us an update?
> > [ Dave Kuhlman wrote: ]
> >>
> >> A while back I saw a message about pgpsafeperl. Is there
> >> such a thing? Where can I learn more about it?
>
> If there's one great thing that I've learned by subscribing
> to perl5-porters, it's that there's a great wealth of people
> willing to prod you mercilessly once you say something about
> actual code. :)

I think we can see just how significant this project is.

> Can I get all you guys to remind me about my electric bills, too?

:-)

> The short answer is that I've been hunting, so far in vain,
> for a better solution than forking off and piping to a PGP
> subprocess every time, and that's slowed me enough, along with
> work, that I haven't issued the second release yet.

The key thing is a good stable PGP module _interface_ definition.
The actual implementation can be changed later. It would probably
make sense to model the API on the work being done for pgp 3.0
(mentioned by Marc Hedlund in another message).

I'm sure you'll find many perl5-porters willing to help/advise on
the module and interface design.

> If anyone
> has a perl or XS-able C implementation of public key encryption
> which they can legally send to a british citizen living in the
> U.S., it'd save me a few months of work trying to XS PGP and
> then finding some way to sneak the code into the U.S. Hmm, maybe
> handing a floppy to my girlfriend.

I don't know if parallel work is being done to the 'international'
(clone) version but I certainly hope so.

> Anyway, limitedsafepgpperl will be in my CPAN domicile somewhere
> near Thursday or Friday of this week for anyone (and indeed only
> those) with a vested interest.

Is it one module or several? Having a PGP module independant of Safe etc
would seem to make sense. Could you send me some module list entries?

Please mention it's availability here as a reminder.

Tim.