Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Dissapearing signal handlers (not on Solaris) [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Gurusamy Sarathy:
> I have access to a Stardent here running TitanOS 3000 (that's right, still
> an arcane SysV, with some bad, broken, BSD bits thrown in), so I could
> probably run them for you. The last time I compiled perl on that
> monster, it was 5.000, and POSIX wouldn't.
>
> But if you ask what I _really_ think, we shouldn't bother with working hard
> on trying to support an OS that's been long "dead". Atleast, Kubota is no
> more, and the machines I know are in a state of pitiful disrepair.

As un-porter-like this may sound: my feelings exactly. Ardent-Stardent-Kubota
is dead and buried. 'Monster' is a very apt description. Let the dead dogs
lie or something like that :-)

++jhi;
Re: Dissapearing signal handlers (not on Solaris) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> Thus spake Gurusamy Sarathy:
> > I have access to a Stardent here running TitanOS 3000 (that's right, still
> > an arcane SysV, with some bad, broken, BSD bits thrown in), so I could
> > probably run them for you. The last time I compiled perl on that
> > monster, it was 5.000, and POSIX wouldn't.
> >
> > But if you ask what I _really_ think, we shouldn't bother with working hard
> > on trying to support an OS that's been long "dead". Atleast, Kubota is no
> > more, and the machines I know are in a state of pitiful disrepair.
>
> As un-porter-like this may sound: my feelings exactly. Ardent-Stardent-Kubota
> is dead and buried. 'Monster' is a very apt description. Let the dead dogs
> lie or something like that :-)

That's fine with me. I _don't_ have any test cases available, and don't
feel much like trying to put together the necessary code. POSIX is _so_
much easier in this area that I'd prefer to stick with it. If anyone can
whip up some code demonstrating how siglongjmp() can be simulated using
SysV signal handling routines, I'm all ears, but I'm not going to worry
about it myself.

Re: Dissapearing signal handlers (not on Solaris) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> > Mach Ten (BSD-ish ??)
> > ncr_tower (System Vr2)
> > Next 3.0 (BSD-ish)
> > Titanos (???)
> >
> > (Jarkko may be able to tell us about Titanos)
>
> Ummm. I no more have an account there so all this is from memory:
> TitanOS is an old mongrel, primarily SysV (I'd day SVR1 if there is
> such a thing), bits of BSD (4.1/4.2 or so) thrown in. The signaling
> system is sigblock()/sighold()/sigrelse()-ish.

Ok. I recognize that sort of combination. Ok. So Titanos will still have
an "unreliable" %SIG handler. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: Dissapearing signal handlers (not on Solaris) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:

> But if you ask what I _really_ think, we shouldn't bother with working hard
> on trying to support an OS that's been long "dead".

Oh good. Then I can stop worrying about supporting SunOS 4.1.3 :-) :-)

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: Dissapearing signal handlers (not on Solaris) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> >
> > Ummm. I no more have an account there so all this is from memory:
> > TitanOS is an old mongrel, primarily SysV (I'd day SVR1 if there is
> > such a thing), bits of BSD (4.1/4.2 or so) thrown in. The signaling
> > system is sigblock()/sighold()/sigrelse()-ish.
>
> Ok. I recognize that sort of combination. Ok. So Titanos will still have
> an "unreliable" %SIG handler. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I'm not that familar with sigblock()/etc., but I think it should be
sufficient to build "reliable" signal handlers. 'Course, it might not be
enough to make longjmp() properly restore the blocked signal masks (if
such a concept exists), so you may have to trade one evil for another.