2. Recurse down into hierachical MakeMaker makefiles, qualifying
targets and dependancies.
3. 'make' script
4. Network-wide parallel make (how fast can I build Tk...?),
although this will require other modules as well.

A sub-set of GNU make extensions will probably be supported.

Suggestions for where it fits in module name space accepted,
but assume it might be Make::Makefile or ExtUtils::Makefile.
Re: [MM] *::Makefile.pm - module to parse Makefiles [ In reply to ]
nick> I have started playing with a module to parse Makefiles in perl,
nick> probably worth adding to module list.

Great.

nick> It will be OO with at least two levels of class i.e Makefile and
nick> Makefile::Target.

nick> I have several applications in mind :

nick> 1. Utilities for MANIFEST generation
nick> A. Exclude files that can be 'made'
nick> B. Include all files needed to make specified targets.
nick> 2. Recurse down into hierachical MakeMaker makefiles, qualifying
nick> targets and dependancies.
nick> 3. 'make' script
nick> 4. Network-wide parallel make (how fast can I build Tk...?),
nick> although this will require other modules as well.

5. 'Safe' make script, that allows only particular trusted commands
being executed from a Makefile.

nick> A sub-set of GNU make extensions will probably be supported.

nick> Suggestions for where it fits in module name space accepted,
nick> but assume it might be Make::Makefile or ExtUtils::Makefile.

This work deserves an own 'Make' namespace with a Make.pm.

andreas
Re: [MM] *::Makefile.pm - module to parse Makefiles [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> I have started playing with a module to parse Makefiles in perl,
> probably worth adding to module list.
>
> It will be OO with at least two levels of class i.e Makefile and
> Makefile::Target.
>
> I have several applications in mind :
>
> 1. Utilities for MANIFEST generation
> A. Exclude files that can be 'made'
> B. Include all files needed to make specified targets.
> 2. Recurse down into hierachical MakeMaker makefiles, qualifying
> targets and dependancies.
> 3. 'make' script
> 4. Network-wide parallel make (how fast can I build Tk...?),
> although this will require other modules as well.
>
> A sub-set of GNU make extensions will probably be supported.
>
> Suggestions for where it fits in module name space accepted,
> but assume it might be Make::Makefile or ExtUtils::Makefile.

Sounds vaguely like it should be in a separate branch, like Tools::Make,
or somesuch. Wherever a perl-built CPP would go, it should probably go
next to it.