Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS Phone: (303)595-2869
Denver, CO rjray@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Re: Temporary unsub option for p5p? [ In reply to ]
> From: Randy J Ray <rjray@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
>
> I'm about to be away for a week, with zero net access (and looking forward to
> it, I might add). Is there a way to either temporarily unsubscribe, or do like
> I can on my listserv subscriptions, set it to "nomail", so that I don't get
> mailbox-bloat?

Get yourself a mail filter (mailagent or procmail).

> Tom: I'll finish the tie stuff when I get back (I *might* get it tonite, if I
> finish up my shopping in time). I have Tie/Hash.pm ready to go, just waiting
> resolution of the Tie::StdHash vs. Tie::Hash::Std conflict.

I don't mind either Tie::StdHash or Tie::HashStd. I do mind Tie::Hash::Std.

Tim.
Re: Temporary unsub option for p5p? [ In reply to ]
>> Tom: I'll finish the tie stuff when I get back (I *might* get it tonit<SNIP>
>> finish up my shopping in time). I have Tie/Hash.pm ready to go, just w<SNIP>
>> resolution of the Tie::StdHash vs. Tie::Hash::Std conflict.

>I don't mind either Tie::StdHash or Tie::HashStd. I do mind Tie::Hash::Std.

Call me confused.

What do these connote to you:

use TieHashStd;
use Tie::HashStd;
use TieHash::Std;
use Tie::Hash::Std;

Are they different?

--tom
Re: Temporary unsub option for p5p? [ In reply to ]
> From: Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com>
>
> >> Tom: I'll finish the tie stuff when I get back (I *might* get it tonit<SNIP>
> >> finish up my shopping in time). I have Tie/Hash.pm ready to go, just w<SNIP>
> >> resolution of the Tie::StdHash vs. Tie::Hash::Std conflict.
>
> >I don't mind either Tie::StdHash or Tie::HashStd. I do mind Tie::Hash::Std.
>
> Call me confused.
>
> What do these connote to you:
>
> use TieHashStd;
> use Tie::HashStd;
> use TieHash::Std;
> use Tie::Hash::Std;
>
> Are they different?

Not much.

Using Tie:: as a prefix for general modules which implement tie methods
seems sensible.

Each type of tie needs a 'fallback' class to future-proof the interface.
Using Tie::{TYPE} for this seems sensible.

Each type of tie could have a 'standard' implementation which provides
a handy base class for inheriting if all you want to do is tweak one
or two methods. Having 'Std' in the name of this class seems sensible.

Adding 'Std' as a further nested name seems excessive.

That leaves us with Tie::FooStd and Tie::StdFoo.

Tim.
Re: [PERL] Temporary unsub option for p5p? [ In reply to ]
Re: [PERL] Temporary unsub option for p5p? [ In reply to ]
>> Get yourself a mail filter (mailagent or procmail).
>Or Deliver. (Not that my having written it is any influence, of course. :-))

>My own ".deliver" script (written in Perl, natch) classifies incoming
>mail and prepends a tag to the Subject line. It could just as easily
>drop the message on the floor.

How far on the floor? :-)

if ($headers{from} =~ /someone.annoying\@silly..com/i) {
maillog("bouncing someone");
print STDERR <<EOF;
Cannot append to /usr/spool/mail/$USER: No space left on device
EOF
exit EX_UNAVAILABLE;
}

I have no idea whose silly idea that was. :-)

--tom