Mailing List Archive

*** ANNOUNCEMENT Release of Build 100
Happy holidays everyone!

Release of Perl5 build 100 from hip communications inc.!
Source available by ftp at:
ftp://ntperl.hip.com/ntperl/perl5100/Perl5.100.src.zip

Intel Binary available by ftp at:
ftp://ntperl.hip.com/ntperl/perl5100/Perl5.100.i86.zip

These are also available from our Perl info page at:
http://info.hip.com/ntperl/

There is a FAQ now at:
http://info.hip.com/ntperl/PerlFaq.htm

NOTE: - Does not work on Win95

Changes
-------

- Now searches PERLLIB environment variable for @INC path.
- Process loading now much faster, now does explicit loading on all
system libraries except for kernel32.dll.
- dynamic loading of module extensions added. Still in testing, use at your
own risk. No MakeMaker available.
- OLE automation schema completely overhauled. Now much simpler, faster,
cleaner, nicer, you name it you got it. Embedded objects supported. Sorry,
still can't do OCX's.
- Added Socket.pm ("use Socket" is the equivalent to "use Winsock").
- All of perl split into small exe and big dll. runs much faster!
- Cwd.pm patched to use portable methods. Thanks Tim Bunce for patch.
- All source files now have notice regarding GPL or Artistic License.

Bugs fixed
----------

- case smashing on %ENV hash.
- 'pwd' unix'isms removed.
- various problems with pipes
- lots of other little things.

known issues

- Some problems with sockets.
- No Win95 ( Sorry, next time )
- Ctrl-C (break) signal doesn't work if Perl spawns another perl process.
NOTE:
We have only built this code base on the Intel platform.
There could be some problems on other platforms -
let us now if you hit anything major.
Re: *** ANNOUNCEMENT Release of Build 100 [ In reply to ]
> From: owner-Perl-Win32_announce@mail.hip.com
>
> Happy holidays everyone!

> Release of Perl5 build 100 from hip communications inc.!

It would be helpful if you could include the perl patch
that this perl port is based on.

Is it still based on 5.001l ?

If so, what plans do you have to move to 5.002 (beta or post beta)?

> Source available by ftp at:
> ftp://ntperl.hip.com/ntperl/perl5100/Perl5.100.src.zip

A better file and directory naming scheme for releases would probably
be a good idea. Calling a port based on Perl5.001l perl5.100 and then,
for example, calling a perl5.002 based port perl5.101 is less
than intuitive.

The _real_ perl version number is very important to end users since module
developers using new features will add require 5.002; require 5.003;
etc to their code.

> - dynamic loading of module extensions added. Still in testing, use at your
> own risk. No MakeMaker available.
> - Added Socket.pm ("use Socket" is the equivalent to "use Winsock").
> - All of perl split into small exe and big dll. runs much faster!
> - Cwd.pm patched to use portable methods. Thanks Tim Bunce for patch.
> - All source files now have notice regarding GPL or Artistic License.

Thanks.

Tim.
Re: *** ANNOUNCEMENT Release of Build 100 [ In reply to ]
>Is it still based on 5.001l ?

5.001m, and hopefully 5.001n soon.

>If so, what plans do you have to move to 5.002 (beta or post beta)?

Probably post beta.

Wei-Yuen_Tan@hip.com
Grunt worker
h i p c o m m u n i c a t i o n s i n c.