Mailing List Archive

ANNOUNCE: Net::Domain, Net::SMTP, MailTools
I have uploaded the latest of the above modules to CPAN

The current list of CPAN servers can be obtained from
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/CPAN

Net::SMTP (v1.06) - package for a SMTP client

Changes include:

o Changed to use Socket(v1.3) instead of directly calling pack
o SMTP::new now takes optional parameters after the host
in for form of a hash. Current parameters are Hello,Debug,Port
o Modified SMTP::new to automatically call hello
o some perl -w cleanups
o Modified SMTP::new() to call croak if IP address of the given host
cannot be found

Net::Domain (v1.06) - Attempt to locate the name of the current host

NOTE: This replaces Sys::Domain as it seems to have been decided that
Sys:: is a bad place to put modules.

MailTools (v1.04) - This distribution contains

Mail/Address.pm (v1.06) Manipulation of electronic mail addresses
Mail/Alias.pm (v1.02) Read/Write various mail alias file formats
Mail/Cap.pm (v1.03) Read mailcap files
Mail/Internet.pm (v1.17) Functions for RFC822 mail manipulations
Mail/MIME.pm (v1.03) Extends Mail::RFC822 to understand MIME
Mail/Mailer.pm (v1.05) Simple mail agent interface
Mail/Send.pm (v1.03) Simple interface for sending mail
Mail/Util.pm (v1.08) Mail related utilities

Changes include:

o Added Mail::Internet::nntppost and Mail::Internet::smtpsend
as AutoLoaded methods
o Some small tweaks to mailaddress()
o Modified Mail::Util to use Net::Domain
o Changed name of Mail::RFC822 to Mail::Internet
o Fixed remove_signature to be anchor'd to the start of the line
o Re-vamped the reply to method
o Applied patch from Andreas Koenig to fix problem when
the user defined $\

Regards,
Graham.

--
Graham Barr <bodg@tiuk.ti.com>
Texas Instruments Ltd.
Re: ANNOUNCE: Net::Domain, Net::SMTP, MailTools [ In reply to ]
I have uploaded the latest of the above modules to CPAN
Net::SMTP (v1.06) - package for a SMTP client

o Changed to use Socket(v1.3) instead of directly calling pack

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's much more portable.

Even worse were the people calling Socket::sockaddr_in directly with its
old undocumented and unsupported 6-arg style. In Socket-1.4, (no
functionality changes), I add that if -w was set, it complains about
the 6-arg version. I wish people wouldn't use undocumented interfaces.

I need to canonize Tim's module file guidelines in a module and class
purity document, probably into perlmod. It's one of the things I haven't
gotten around to yet.

--tom (in germany)