"I do not resent criticism, even when, for the sake of emphasis,
it parts for the time with reality".
-- Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 22nd Jan 1941.
Re: revamping perlxstut.pod and perlxs.pod [ In reply to ]
On 04.01.24 11:45, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> I'm thinking of reworking perlxstut.pod and (to a lesser extent)
> perlxs.pod.
>
> Does anyone else have any designs or other ownership claims on these files
> that might clash with what I'm doing?

For me, it's quite the opposite. I would welcome any updates and changes
you make here.
Re: revamping perlxstut.pod and perlxs.pod [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 11:48, Lukas Mai <lukasmai.403+p5p@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04.01.24 11:45, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > I'm thinking of reworking perlxstut.pod and (to a lesser extent)
> > perlxs.pod.
> >
> > Does anyone else have any designs or other ownership claims on these
> files
> > that might clash with what I'm doing?
>
> For me, it's quite the opposite. I would welcome any updates and changes
> you make here.

++

cheers,
yves

Re: revamping perlxstut.pod and perlxs.pod [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024, Lukas Mai wrote:
> On 04.01.24 11:45, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> I'm thinking of reworking perlxstut.pod and (to a lesser extent)
>> perlxs.pod.
>>
>> Does anyone else have any designs or other ownership claims on these files
>> that might clash with what I'm doing?
>
> For me, it's quite the opposite. I would welcome any updates and changes you
> make here.

Seconded.

--

73,
Ged.
Re: revamping perlxstut.pod and perlxs.pod [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:45:55 +0000
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of reworking perlxstut.pod and (to a lesser extent)
> perlxs.pod.
>
> Does anyone else have any designs or other ownership claims on these
> files that might clash with what I'm doing?

Excellent - please do :)

In particular at some point I think it'd be good to have a go at
emphasising the FFI-like abilities of XS, because it continues to annoy
me that folks end up pulling in the giant tree of Alien stuff for doing
what XS can easily do it's just that folks aren't aware of it.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: revamping perlxstut.pod and perlxs.pod [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 4, 2024, at 5:45?AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
>
> I'm thinking of reworking perlxstut.pod and (to a lesser extent)
> perlxs.pod.
>
> Does anyone else have any designs or other ownership claims on these files
> that might clash with what I'm doing?
>
> This has been triggered because I've just been reading these files to gain
> a good understanding of XS (especially in terms of what promises we've
> made) before I think about how to make XS work better (sometimes) under
> PERL_RC_STACK.
>
> While reading them, I've found many times that I had no idea what point
> the author was actually trying to make, and had to go and experiment or
> look at the source code to understand. It's also very dated - for example,
> "In versions of 5.002 prior to version 5.002b1h". Ho hum.

I, too, would love to see this. Every XS-learner is a potential Perl core maintainer.

-FG