--
Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

Even the worst guesser is right once in a while.
Re: PSC #125 2023-11-23 [ In reply to ]
* Philippe Bruhat (BooK) <book@cpan.org> [2023-11-23 22:23:09 +0100]:

> The PSC met today. In summary:
>
> * Paul's TPRF grant was accepted, he plans to spend some of that time to
> work on some PPCs first (`qt` strings, overload)
> * FOSDEM Perl Devroom CfP: none of us are planning to attend in person,
> but if someone else wanted to present on our behalf we could
> co?rdinate with them and work out a subject to talk about

Does TPRF do travel grant's. Perl really needs some of y'all to travel as
technical ambassadors. And no, I don't think this is unreasonable to expect
a major OSS project's main developers to start showing up again to where the
users also show up. This includes the 2024 TPRC. The community is suffering
because of this lack of face to face interaction.

Cheers,
Brett

--
oodler@cpan.org ~> oodler577@sdf-eu.org
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdfeu.org

Carl Spackler: [preparing to dynamite the gopher tunnel] In the
immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, Au revoir, gopher.
Re: PSC #125 2023-11-23 [ In reply to ]
All are very good news esp.

We discussed opening up s meetings to the occasional guest, so they
could see what we're actually doing (boring!) and give us an outside
perspective

I'd try joining all.

I think it's time to create Google Calendar events for those.

Thanks

Re: PSC #125 2023-11-23 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 at 00:09, Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
<perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> * Philippe Bruhat (BooK) <book@cpan.org> [2023-11-23 22:23:09 +0100]:
>
> > The PSC met today. In summary:
> >
> > * Paul's TPRF grant was accepted, he plans to spend some of that time to
> > work on some PPCs first (`qt` strings, overload)
> > * FOSDEM Perl Devroom CfP: none of us are planning to attend in person,
> > but if someone else wanted to present on our behalf we could
> > coördinate with them and work out a subject to talk about
>
> Does TPRF do travel grant's.

See, for example,

https://news.perlfoundation.org/post/fosdem2024minigrants

But there's no indication here that money is what is preventing this
from happening.

> Perl really needs some of y'all to travel as
> technical ambassadors. And no, I don't think this is unreasonable to expect
> a major OSS project's main developers to start showing up again to where the
> users also show up. This includes the 2024 TPRC. The community is suffering
> because of this lack of face to face interaction.

If this is important to you (and I can see why it might be) then the
best time to bring it up is during the elections for a new PSC that
take place after each major release of Perl.

Dave...