once the merge conflicts have been resolved. Any objections?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
Re: Open pull requests with merge conflicts; please resolve or close [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 16, 2023, at 18:46, James E Keenan wrote:
> I believe that any open pull request with merge conflicts which has not
> been updated in 6 months should be closed. It can always be re-opened
> once the merge conflicts have been resolved. Any objections?

Not from me.

--
rjbs
Re: Open pull requests with merge conflicts; please resolve or close [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Aug 2023, 00:47 James E Keenan, <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:

> Out of 75 open pull requests at this moment, 32 have merge conflicts.
> PR authors, please look through the PRs at the following URL and either
> resolve the conflicts or close the p.r.
>

> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3AhasConflicts
>
> I believe that any open pull request with merge conflicts which has not
> been updated in 6 months should be closed. It can always be re-openedfor
> once the merge conflicts have been resolved. Any objections?

Last time I looked into this most of them can be trivially rebased onto the
latest code. I would prefer we do that instead of closing them as imo
closed PRs are hard to track down after the fact. If we /must/ close them
then imo before we do so we should tag them with a unique tag so they are
easy to find as a group after the fact.

Yves

Re: Open pull requests with merge conflicts; please resolve or close [ In reply to ]
I agree that closed PRs can be hard to track down after the fact.
Anything that has conflicts is de facto "not ready" yet -- so how about
marking it as draft? That will also remove it from some lists like "PRs
still awaiting approval".

Re: Open pull requests with merge conflicts; please resolve or close [ In reply to ]
Marking it as draft makes sense to me, good idea, thanks!

Cheers
Yves