Mailing List Archive

weird city (again)
Never mind all...

I just figured it out -- me changing the path was causing pwd to go away (which
seems kind of strange in itself, since I thought pwd was a builtin......)

However -- I think this points out what would be a *very* nice feature:

If we can't have a compiler -- it would be really nice to have a 'dump' aka
dump and undump which *includes* the byte compilings for each command called
inside of the perl script, ie: something like:

smrtdump perl_script.p -o perl_program

(perl_program now includes in byte compiled form all the internal unix commands
that it calls in script form)

This way, portability is enhanced, security/secrecy on code is maintained and
there are no possibilities for errors like this (I believe the problem is that
perl barfs on the internal pwd command)

In fact, a true checksum could be generated from said file (giving all the
benefits of compiling and more..)

If anybody has an idea how to implement this.. talk to me. I think it would
slice down development times by a factor of 10 on *real* projects.. ie: I know
that some of the perl code people have written out there (including myself)
could be marketed...

Ed