Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good

... and _no_ makefile!!! What might keep MakeMaker from creating a makefile?

--
Jim Anderson Phone: (201)524-4076
Lehman Brothers, Inc. Fax: (201)524-5153
101 Hudson Street, 34th Floor E-mail: jander@lehman.com
Jersey City, NJ 07302 jander@jander.com
Re: extension installation problem [ In reply to ]

jim> I just installed 5.001n on a Solaris box, and all tests passed fine. I
jim> then issued 'perl Makemaker.PL' to install Sybperl 2.0, but all I got was

jim> helpdsyb1[scopusad]53: perl Makefile.PL
jim> Checking if your kit is complete...
jim> Looks good

jim> ... and _no_ makefile!!! What might keep MakeMaker from creating a makefile?

Please try with MakeMaker 5.03, which is available on CPAN. As I
convinced myself, 5.03 writes a Makefile. There IS some mysterous
magic going on with the Version number. The generated Makefile has the
line

MM_VERSION = 2.0

instead of 5.03. Other than that I could not test it, as I don't have
Sybase at hand right now. Will look into that during the weekend. Let
me know, how it goes.

andreas
Re: extension installation problem [ In reply to ]
me> Please try with MakeMaker 5.03, which is available on CPAN. As I
me> convinced myself, 5.03 writes a Makefile. There IS some mysterous
me> magic going on with the Version number. The generated Makefile has the
me> line

me> MM_VERSION = 2.0

me> instead of 5.03. Other than that I could not test it, as I don't have
me> Sybase at hand right now. Will look into that during the weekend. Let
me> me know, how it goes.

Found the bug in MakeMaker. When I eval() a Makefile.PL in a
subdirectory I forgot to switch to package main. Saturday will bring a
new MakeMaker unless somebody feels an more urgent need. Let me know
in that case.

andreas
Re: extension installation problem [ In reply to ]

> Please try with MakeMaker 5.03, which is available on CPAN. As I
> convinced myself, 5.03 writes a Makefile. There IS some mysterous
> magic going on with the Version number. The generated Makefile has the
> line
>
> MM_VERSION = 2.0
>
> instead of 5.03. Other than that I could not test it, as I don't have
> Sybase at hand right now. Will look into that during the weekend. Let
> me know, how it goes.

One puzzeling thing is that I successfully installed both 5.001n and
Sybperl on a SunOS box yesterday. Sybperl installed with _no_
problems. And that was with the MakeMaker that came with 1n. I don't
know why all of a sudden things aren't working :-(

jim

Re: extension installation problem [ In reply to ]

> Please try with MakeMaker 5.03, which is available on CPAN. As I
> convinced myself, 5.03 writes a Makefile. There IS some mysterous
> magic going on with the Version number. The generated Makefile has the
> line
>
> MM_VERSION = 2.0
>
> instead of 5.03. Other than that I could not test it, as I don't have
> Sybase at hand right now. Will look into that during the weekend. Let
> me know, how it goes.

I just installed MakeMaker 5.03 and get exactly the same results,
i.e., no makefile gets generated :-( I don't have a clue what's going
on.

(BTW, I noticed that the CPAN mirror at delphi is extremely out-of-date.)

Re: extension installation problem [ In reply to ]

> Found the bug in MakeMaker. When I eval() a Makefile.PL in a
> subdirectory I forgot to switch to package main. Saturday will bring a
> new MakeMaker unless somebody feels an more urgent need. Let me know
> in that case.
>
> andreas

On the off-chance that it'll fix my problem, I'll raise my hand as one
of those 'with an urgent need' :-)