--
Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tchrist@mox.perl.com

I've got plenty of inputs and outputs. I don't need the video. --Andrew Hume
Re: Alien Perl FAQs? [ In reply to ]
>We seem to be turning up a lot of specific questions lately from people
>who aren't running operating systems. Can any of you suggest some FAQs
>and answers to be included in a theoretical section in the Perl FAQ
>for those poor folks stuck on PCs without Unix, but rather with something
>like MS-DOS, OS/2, Windows, or NT?

I use Windows NT at home, and it seems like a real operating system to me :-).

The one thing that was most useful to me with NT perl was coming up with the
proper magic wrapper for NT scripts to get it to do something like
#!/bin/perl does on real operating systems. I have one I use now, but I
think I have seen even spiffier ones go past which I didn't save at the
time.

Another potential FAQ for NT would be to talk about how to open and talk
to physical devices (like tape drives). If the NT port of perl doesn't
implement open in just the right way, it won't be possible to open and
read tape devices, etc. I don't even know myself if this works, because
I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

--
Tom.Horsley@mail.hcsc.com
Home: 511 Kingbird Circle Delray Beach FL 33444
Re: Alien Perl FAQs? [ In reply to ]