Mailing List Archive

something to watch out for 5.001o Configure
GNU textutils 1.12 cat ruins Configuring (by being too smart?):

$ sh Configure -ders
First let's make sure your kit is complete. Checking...
Looks good...
cat: -: input file is output file
Checking your sh to see if it knows about # comments...
Checking out how to guarantee sh startup...
Locating common programs...
cat: -: input file is output file
Configure: blurfl: not found
Configure: -s: not found
Symbolic links are NOT supported.
Configure: -f: not found
Configure: [:lower:]: not found
Your tr only supports [a-z] and [A-Z] to convert case.
Configure: -e: not found
./tr: [A-Z]: not found
Configure: s/\.sh/ /g: not found
Configure: test: argument expected
^C

So if there is GNU cat in the PATH that should probably be tossed,
hurled, flung.

(Yes, as soon as I remove GNU utils from my PATH things work fine)

++jhi;
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
Strange sunspot activity caused Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@epsilon.hut.fi> to write
:

| GNU textutils 1.12 cat ruins Configuring (by being too smart?):

You know, the more I see of GNU, the less I like.

-spp
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
>| GNU textutils 1.12 cat ruins Configuring (by being too smart?):
>
>You know, the more I see of GNU, the less I like.

Yeah, but don't tell any of them that. Everyone I've ever talked to reomtely
affiliated with GNU think that everyone *else* needs to adapt.

Randy
--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS Phone: (303)595-2869

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
> From: Stephen Potter <spp@psa.pencom.com>
>
> Strange sunspot activity caused Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@epsilon.hut.fi> to write
> :
> |
> | GNU textutils 1.12 cat ruins Configuring (by being too smart?):
>
> You know, the more I see of GNU, the less I like.

That's a very broad statement. Some of the developers do tend to get
carried aware and overengineer things.

I hope someone's forwarded a bug report to them for
cat: -: input file is output file

Tim.
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
> I hope someone's forwarded a bug report to them for
> cat: -: input file is output file
>
> Tim.

I will, one of these lifetimes...

++jhi;
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
Ugh, here is a minimal case on which GNU cat falls over:

rm -f $$
cat <<X >$$
rm -f $$

The file must not exist if one wants this to fail.
Will report this to GNUites.

++jhi;
Re: something to watch out for 5.001o Configure [ In reply to ]
: >| GNU textutils 1.12 cat ruins Configuring (by being too smart?):
: >
: >You know, the more I see of GNU, the less I like.
:
: Yeah, but don't tell any of them that. Everyone I've ever talked to reomtely
: affiliated with GNU think that everyone *else* needs to adapt.

Well, they do tend to talk that way, but the fact is that by and large
they do a fair amount of adapting themselves. Some would say they do
too much adapting... :-)

Larry