Mailing List Archive

what's in a name? (was: open(FH, "...|") not interruptable?)
>> Doesn't have much to do with porting perl5, now does it?

>Myself and others have been referred to this group for possible bugs
>or problems with Perl. Secondly, I'd question whether the majority
>of the traffic here has "much to do with porting perl5". If this
>question is unwelcome here, I'll unask it.

Well, I certainly don't mind, but I'm notoriously off-topic myself.
Much of what goes on here is more than just porting, odd though this
may seem.

What we in effect have here is a place for people working in
many areas can meet. If it were a newsgroup, it would probably
be called something like one of the following:

comp.lang.perl.development
comp.lang.perl.design
comp.lang.perl.wizards
comp.lang.perl.extensions
comp.lang.perl.modules
comp.lang.perl.libraries

It also covers things like

comp.lang.perl.installs
comp.lang.perl.bugs # perlbug now aliased to perl-porters
comp.lang.perl.porting
comp.lang.perl.alien # non-unix

I certainly don't recommend infinite splintering, but perhaps the day will
come when we'll want to look into some of this. What we don't really need
is for the important stuff here to get lost in the noise of a less focused
newsgroup, such as might occur if the list were blindly fed into
comp.lang.perl.misc as it now stands.

--tom