Mailing List Archive

Re: CPAN Last Call
>Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 02:21:59 +0200
>From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@snakemail.hut.fi>
>To: perl-packrats@metronet.com
>Subject: CPAN Last Call

% show
xterm: can't open display

You now, I can't even *READ* this stuff. I'm on a telnet connection,
so X stuff doesn't work, and MH insists upon doing
truly idiotic things making me have to write a filter to remove
all /^Mime/ and /^Content/ headers before I touch your mail.

Kind of defats the purpose, eh? Am I wallowing in the sins of our fathers,
or is this mime stuff really more of a pain in the ass than a useful thing?

Seems to me that we used to send stuff in normal LATIN-1 just fine. Hm.. seems
that unlike mine, these french xterms won't show french. Stupid world.

Anyway, what's wrong with uuencoding binaries? We've never had problems with that.

All this mime crap just makes mail hard to read EVEN WHEN THERE'S NOTHING FANCY
IN IT!!!!!!

it's morning.

--tom
Re: CPAN Last Call [ In reply to ]
Tom Christiansen wrote :
|| Anyway, what's wrong with uuencoding binaries? We've never had problems with that.

You've obviously never sent a uuencoded binary through IBM's
profs mailer to a Unix system at the other end. The ASCII to
EBCDIC translate table on input to profs is not reversed by the
EBCDIC to ASCII translate table used when the message comes back
out the other end. And there is more than one variation of each
of those two translations, so you can't necessarily fix things
by an extra translate of your own (although using tr
'\215\331\265' '\[]^' as a pre-filter to uudecode is most often
an adequate patch-up).

I've still got to live with this, because I can't ensure that
the receiver of such messages will have mime/base64. (The rest
of mime, I have not yet had any strong need for, but I'm sure
that it will come someday once I can depend upon it being
available.)

--
Maybe we can fix reality one of these days. | John Macdonald
<- Larry Wall Carl Dichter -> | jmm@Elegant.COM
Re: CPAN Last Call [ In reply to ]
tom, you can

setenv NOMHNPROC 1