Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Question about runtime/production use of lib/perl5/CORE files [ In reply to ]
:>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu> writes:
:>>>>> "Phil" == Phillip Moore <wpm@ms.com> writes:
:Andy> If you're sure no one will want to build a new static perl, you
:Andy> can safely delete libperl.a.

:Well, if I want to build a new static perl, I'll do so in the
:development tree.

It's nice to have access to the development tree. I don't (well, not the
blessed one, anyway). So since I want to use Tk, I have to build my own perl.
This is bad for several reasons: 1) it takes away from the work that the
system administrators do, and adds to the work I do; 2) it makes the system
administrators paranoid (I am a clueless user, after all); and 3) uses disk
space (which I don't have a lot of).

Oh, yeah, and installing it on AFS takes a looooong time, since MakeMaker
wants to stat all of the files in '~cloyces/..', most of which can't be
read. :/

So anyway, put one vote in for the status quo (as far as this is concerned).

--
Cloyce D. Spradling
cloyces@austin.ibm.com
Re: Question about runtime/production use of lib/perl5/CORE files [ In reply to ]

cloyce> Oh, yeah, and installing it on AFS takes a looooong time, since MakeMaker
cloyce> wants to stat all of the files in '~cloyces/..', most of which can't be
cloyce> read. :/

You're doing something suboptimal here.

I have built perl on quite a lot of machines without root access and
small quota. I think, this is the best way to do it:

cd /tmp/some/where; tar xzf perl... ; cd perl...

./Configure -D prefix=/your/home/directory -des
make test install

cd ~; rm -rf /tmp/some/where

And for extensions even simpler, because your perl already knows,
where your prefix is.

So I'm pretty sure I still haven't understood AFS completely. Right?
Show me the problem, please. You can't do that? So maybe with
perl5.001m you have to tweak a little in your config.sh with the
install* variables. Next release of perl will give you an installprefix
variable. Much better, Thanks, Andy!!!!!

And for extensions I guess, you have to tell MakeMaker your PREFIX of the day.

perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/afs/says/so/to/my/home
make test install

cloyce> So anyway, put one vote in for the status quo (as far as this is concerned).

Which? There are so many of those, and they change every day :)

andreas
Re: Question about runtime/production use of lib/perl5/CORE files [ In reply to ]
> From: Nick.Ing-Simmons@tiuk.ti.com
>
> In <9510191556.AA29231@sas1-f0.morgan.com>
> On Thu, 19 Oct 95 11:56:29 EDT
> <wpm@morgan.com> writes:
> >
> >I don't perform the Configure/make/make install procedures in the
> >perl5 source tree, but rather in a shadow tree which contains nothing
> >but symlinks to the actual sources. This allos me to perform the
> >compile in parallel on the six(6) platforms we have that I care about.
> >The sources aren't touched.
>
> Same here for my platforms, my link trees are build from
> the MANIFEST(s).

Could you submit the utility which builds the symlink trees for
inclusion in the distribution.

It sounds like it has a high utility/size ratio.

Tim.
Re: Question about runtime/production use of lib/perl5/CORE files [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 20 Oct 1995, Andreas Koenig wrote:

> install* variables. Next release of perl will give you an installprefix
> variable. Much better, Thanks, Andy!!!!!

Um, sorry if I mislead anyone. I've described in INSTALL how to use
config.over to compensate for the missing installprefix, and I've said I'll
happily accept patches to implement installprefix, but I certainly don't
have time to do it myself.

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
Re: Question about runtime/production use of lib/perl5/CORE files [ In reply to ]
In <9510201507.ak05588@relay-3.mail.demon.net>
On Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:14:49 +0100
Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce@ig.co.uk> writes:

>> Same here for my platforms, my link trees are build from
>> the MANIFEST(s).
>
>Could you submit the utility which builds the symlink trees for
>inclusion in the distribution.
>
>It sounds like it has a high utility/size ratio.

Here it is as it stands - it could probably do with a polish, it is called
'srclink' here and usage is :

prompt% srclink srcdir dstdir

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

sub makedir
{
my $path = shift;
unless (-d $path)
{
&makedir($1) if ($path =~ m#^(.+)/\S+$#);
mkdir($path,0777) || die "Cannot mkdir $path:$!";
}
}

sub domanifest
{my $src = shift;
return if ($::done{$src});
$::done{$src} = 1;
my $fl = "$src/MANIFEST";
if (open($fl,"<$fl"))
{
$::dirs{$src} = 1;
while (<$fl>)
{
if (/^(\S*)/)
{
my $leaf = $1;
my $path = "$src/$leaf";
if (-r $path)
{
if ($leaf =~ m#^(.*)/\S+$#)
{
my $dir = "$src/$1";
die "No $dir" unless (-d $dir);
$::dirs{$dir} = 1;
}
$::files{$path} = 1 unless (!-l $path && -d $path);
}
else
{
warn "No $path:$!";
}
}
else
{
die "Odd line:$_";
}
}
close($fl);
}
}

$::src = shift;
$::dst = shift;

sub pwd
{
my $pwd;
chomp($pwd = `pwd`);
$pwd =~ s,^/tmp_mnt,,;
return $pwd;
}

$::here = &pwd;
chdir($::src) || die "Cannot cd to $::src:$!";
$::src = &pwd;

print STDERR "Reading $::src\n";

&domanifest(".");

foreach (<./ext/*>)
{
&domanifest($_);
}

chdir($::here) || die "Cannot cd back to $::here:$!";

&makedir($::dst);

print STDERR "Creating Directories\n";

foreach (keys %::dirs)
{
s#^\./##;
makedir("$::dst/$_");
}

print STDERR "Making links\n";

foreach (keys %::files)
{
s#^\./##;
unlink("$::dst/$_") if (-l "$::dst/$_");
symlink("$::src/$_","$::dst/$_") || warn "Cannot link $::src/$_ to $::dst/$_;$!";
}

1 2  View All