Mailing List Archive

Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter?
Probably wishful thinking.

Tim.
Re: Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter? [ In reply to ]

>Probably wishful thinking.

Probably. But I would imagine that you'd want to write out MIF (dunno what mml
stands for). You have a typical paragraph format, a default body font and
default "emphasis" (italic) setting. But to get bold type, and more indention
control, you'd have to be generating extensive paragraph and font formats.

I have to admit, Frame is not my browser-of-choice. I could much easier
envision a Frame2pod than pod2frame.

Randy
--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS Phone: (303)607-5268

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Re: Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter? [ In reply to ]
> From: Randy J Ray <rjray@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
>
> >Probably wishful thinking.
>
> Probably. But I would imagine that you'd want to write out MIF (dunno what mml
> stands for).

Maker Markup Language. MML is to MIF as pod is to nroff (kind of).
Simple but effective.

> I have to admit, Frame is not my browser-of-choice.

I was thinking more of hard copy.

> I could much easier envision a Frame2pod than pod2frame.

Eh. Frame2pod would be *much* harder (believe me, I eat MIF for breakfast).
pod2frame is trivial by comparison.

Tim.
Re: Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter? [ In reply to ]
On Oct 18, 10:27am, Randy J Ray wrote:
> Subject: Re: Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter?
> >
> >Probably wishful thinking.

Not so wishful, because I have done it!
... well, sorta. It is very old, and gives errors all over the place when you
try it on todays pods. I'll see if I can get it working, and then send it out.

> Probably. But I would imagine that you'd want to write out MIF (dunno what
mml
> stands for).

MML is "Maker Markup Language" and is much simpler than MIF. Frame reads it
just like MIF, and is a good choice because you don't need to create all that
extra syntax that MIF needs. Just describe you paragraph formats, and then mark
the text.

You can find the MML reference in the online docs for FrameMaker 4 and 5, and
it came as a printed manual for V3.

> You have a typical paragraph format, a default body font and
> default "emphasis" (italic) setting. But to get bold type, and more indention
> control, you'd have to be generating extensive paragraph and font formats.

Very easy in MML:

<!DefinePar TITLE
<LeftIndent 0">
<FirstIndent 0">
<pts 14>
<bold>

<!DefinePar Body
<LeftIndent .5">
<FirstIndent .5">
<SpaceBefore 0pt>
<SpaceAfter 2pt>

and to use it:

<TITLE>
This is the Title
<Body>
This is a body paragraph.

You can also insert hypertext markers that allow you to navagate through a set
of documents.

> I have to admit, Frame is not my browser-of-choice. I could much easier
> envision a Frame2pod than pod2frame.

Ah yes, but I have a set of users that are *use* to using FrameViewer as a
browser, so pod2mml is useful (I really need to update it, the pages I have on
line are old and incomplete.)

--
Mark Pease markp@vlsi-az.sps.mot.com
Motorola MIMS VLSI Technology Center Mark_Pease-RXYE40@email.mot.com
Re: Anyone done a Perl pod to FrameMaker mml converter? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Tim Bunce wrote:

> > From: Randy J Ray <rjray@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
> >
> > >Probably wishful thinking.
> >
> > Probably. But I would imagine that you'd want to write out MIF (dunno what mml
> > stands for).
>
> Maker Markup Language. MML is to MIF as pod is to nroff (kind of).
> Simple but effective.
>
> > I have to admit, Frame is not my browser-of-choice.
>
> I was thinking more of hard copy.
>
> > I could much easier envision a Frame2pod than pod2frame.
>
> Eh. Frame2pod would be *much* harder (believe me, I eat MIF for breakfast).
> pod2frame is trivial by comparison.

I need to keep an eye on this sort of thing... Can you suggest someplace I
can find a description of MML without needing FrameMaker itself?