Mailing List Archive

Cinder-volume and high availability
Hi,

I’ve noticed that in the high-availability guide, it is not recommended to run cinder-volume in an active-active configuration. However, I have built an active-passive setup that uses keepalived and a virtual IP to redirect API traffic to only one controller at a time. In such a configuration, would I still need to have only one cinder-volume service running at a time? Also, the backend is a Dell compellent SAN, if that makes a difference.

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack
PlanetHoster inc.
Re: Cinder-volume and high availability [ In reply to ]
Jean-Philippe Méthot <jp.methot@planethoster.info> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I’ve noticed that in the high-availability guide, it is not
>recommended to run cinder-volume in an active-active configuration.

Active-active cinder-volume support is still in development, e.g. see

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/cinder-volume-active-active-support

I would strongly recommend talking to the Cinder experts to find out
the current state, rather than relying on the HA guide which is
currently rather out of date.

>However, I have built an active-passive setup that uses keepalived
>and a virtual IP to redirect API traffic to only one controller at a
>time.

Yes, this is a fairly common deployment trick.

>In such a configuration, would I still need to have only one
>cinder-volume service running at a time?

Yes, otherwise it's not active-passive ;-)

Sorry for the slow reply!