returned to a pool of MAC addresses for the network.
From what I can see from the code the proposed V2 API enabled the user
to configure MAC ranges for networks. The edge case for this approach is
when the MAC ranges has allocated all of the addresses, which implies
that a port cannot be allocated. If possible I would like to change
this. Any thoughts or comments?
Is anyone aware of a registered OpenStack MAC range?
Thanks
Gary

Re: Bug 1008029 - more specifically MAC allocation [ In reply to ]

Hi,
I thought melange will do this. We also need IP allocations from melange.

-----netstack-bounces+gongysh=cn.ibm.com@lists.launchpad.net wrote: -----To: "<netstack@lists.launchpad.net>" <netstack@lists.launchpad.net>
From: Gary Kotton
Sent by: netstack-bounces+gongysh=cn.ibm.com@lists.launchpad.net
Date: 06/11/2012 06:35PM
Subject: [Netstack] Bug 1008029 - more specifically MAC allocation

Hi,
If possible I would like to address the bug as follows:
1. When a network is created the user will be able to configure a base
MAC address. If a base MAC address is not allocated by the user then a
base MAC will be read from the Quantum configuration file (the default
will be "fa:16:3e:00:00:00"
2. When a port is allocated on the network then a unique MAC address
between "fa:16:3e:00:00:00" and "fa:16:3e:ff:ff:ff" will be allocated.
3. When a port is deleted then the allocated MAC address will be
returned to a pool of MAC addresses for the network.
From what I can see from the code the proposed V2 API enabled the user

Re: Bug 1008029 - more specifically MAC allocation [ In reply to ]
On 06/11/2012 02:35 PM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:

> Hi,
> I thought melange will do this. We also need IP allocations from melange.
Hi,
You are correct, this is done my Melange. The bug is for Folsom 2 as
part of the Melange integration. I guess that it was opened to ensure
that it would not be neglected.
Thanks
Gary