Mailing List Archive

[Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs
Hi,

During our last project meeting there was some interest in introducing
"review days" for Quantum core devs.
I see multiple benefits in this approach:

1) Contributors would know which core member the need to contact on a given
days for soliciting a review for their patches
2) Predictable code review effort for core devs
3) The PTL knows who should be whipped!

I think we can leverage the fact that our core devs span several time
zones. So for each day we can have, for instance, an EMEA core reviewer on
duty between 1AM and 9AM PST, an US core reviewer on duty between 9AM and
5PM PST, and an APAC core reviewer on duty between 5PM and 1AM PST.
Of course the plan needs to be flexible especially around milestone
release, where all the devs which are not busy coding should probably
dedicate more time to code review.

I am going to start a wiki page with a 5x3 grid, with days on the rows and
zones on the columns. If you like this idea, +1 this email and add your
name to the grid :)
Otherwise, please let me have your feedback and concerns.

Salvatore
Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]

+1

-----netstack-bounces+gongysh=cn.ibm.com@lists.launchpad.net wrote: -----To: openstack@lists.launchpad.net
During our last project meeting there was some interest in introducing "review days" for Quantum core devs.I see multiple benefits in this approach:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/%7Enetstack"]https://launchpad.net/~netstack
Post to : netstack@lists.launchpad.net
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp"]https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]
+1

Yes, It will work. display information on wiki would be best option.

May be Dan has some thought on this.

Thanks,
Hitesh

Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]
+1

Edgar

Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Salvatore Orlando
<salv.orlando@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During our last project meeting there was some interest in introducing
> "review days" for Quantum core devs.
> I see multiple benefits in this approach:
>
> 1) Contributors would know which core member the need to contact on a
> given days for soliciting a review for their patches
> 2) Predictable code review effort for core devs
> 3) The PTL knows who should be whipped!

indeed :)

Thanks for taking the lead on this Salvatore. Please send out the wiki
page, no need for more +1s :)

dan

> I think we can leverage the fact that our core devs span several time
> zones. So for each day we can have, for instance, an EMEA core reviewer on
> duty between 1AM and 9AM PST, an US core reviewer on duty between 9AM and
> 5PM PST, and an APAC core reviewer on duty between 5PM and 1AM PST.
> Of course the plan needs to be flexible especially around milestone
> release, where all the devs which are not busy coding should probably
> dedicate more time to code review.
>
> I am going to start a wiki page with a 5x3 grid, with days on the rows and
> zones on the columns. If you like this idea, +1 this email and add your
> name to the grid :)
> Otherwise, please let me have your feedback and concerns.
>
> Salvatore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt
Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]
As the link to the wiki page is now buried deep in this thread, here it is
again: http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum/ReviewDays
Weekend days have been added on GaryK's request!

Salvatore

Re: [Quantum] Review days for Quantum core devs [ In reply to ]
I took Mondays!

Edgar