Subject: Re: [Netstack] change to pep8 version 1.1?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 06:45:48 +0300
From: Gary Kotton <gkotton@redhat.com>
To: netstack@lists.launchpad.net

On 06/03/2012 02:03 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 02:25 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
>> Hi Monty,
>>
>> So moving forward it seems that we have two options here:
>>
>> 1) add hardcoded pep8 version in tox.ini to match the hardcoded version
>> in tools/tests-requires. Benefit: avoid randomly having all reviews get
>> rejected by CI infrastructure whenever the CI infrastructure happens to
>> pick up a new version of pep8.
>>
>> 2) remove hardcoded pep8 version in tools/test-requires to match
>> tox.ini. Benefit: we're always using the latest pep8 version (and
>> therefore closer to the goal of more readable code) and people have a
>> strong incentive to clean up the code (since its blocking their commits)..
>>
>> While my preference was originally #1, as it gives more predictability.
>> However, if people do not monitor for new versions of pep8, we get
>> stuck on an old version (currently 0.6.1). Jason has persuaded me that
>> given that pep8 clean-ups tend to be quite quick to code and review,
>> that #2 may well be a better option.
> My preference was for #1 as well, but the more I think about it, the
> more I think that we should be pretty aggressive with tracking pep8
> stuff anyway.
I am in favour of #1 at the moment. In Folsom there was considerable
effort to deal with pep8. Essex stable is a side branch and will at some
time or another be replaced by Folsom. Adding all of the pep8 changes
into a stable branch could lead to some problems (it is very low risk).
Nonetheless, if the stricter pep8 is chosen, then why not just use
Folsom-1 as the stable essex (there were 2 activities on this - bug
fixes and pep8 support)