Mailing List Archive

Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)
Hi,

Based on feedback from the community, the Board made several proposals
to improve the election process for January 2013.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2012-November/001246.html

The first three proposals were implemented. That is:
- clear statements from each candidates,
- more information for voters about the individual member election,
- request to organizations to act honourably and guide their staff to
vote in the interest of the community.

One of the goal of these proposals was to encourage and help every voter
to vote for candidates who best represent the Community. This was one of
the answers to the concerns that were raised about the influence of
corporate entities in the individual member election before and after
the August 2012 election.

For the August 2012 election, some statistics were sent to help quantify
the role employers played in the election:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2012-October/001114.html

To help the community evaluate if the changes in the election process
had a positive impact, the election inspectors have created the same
statistics for the January 2013 election. Like for the statistics from
August 2012, we are not drawing any conclusions in this report, rather
we are attempting to present the information relevant to the
aforementioned concerns.

All credits for this should still go to James, as we used the same
script, and his explanations for each table are used below.

Thanks,

Vincent

========

While each vote is anonymous, the affiliates that each Individual Member
specified when applying for Foundation Membership was recorded with the
vote. That stated affiliation is the basis for the analysis below.

Keep in mind that the affiliation field is free-form and not verified,
and members may have provided incorrect or unusable data. For instance,
it is apparent that some people misinterpreted the field, needlessly
providing multiple affiliations, affiliations that clearly don't match
the criteria specified on the form, or just plain non-sequiturs.
Therefore the numbers below should be close to reality, but may not be
exact.

The following table lists the election results for the top 8 candidates,
including the weighted vote (the sum of all the votes cast for that
candidate), the percent of the total weighted vote which was cast for
that candidate, the number of voters who individually cast at least part
of their vote for that candidate, and the percentage of the total voters
who cast at least part of their vote for that candidate.

Results for top 8 Candidates
+------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+
| Name | Weighted | %Weighted | Voters | %Voters |
+------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+
| Monty Taylor | 1709.00 | 15.38 % | 413 | 29.73 % |
| Rob Hirschfeld | 1591.00 | 14.32 % | 371 | 26.71 % |
| Troy Toman | 1335.00 | 12.01 % | 342 | 24.62 % |
| Hui Cheng | 1022.00 | 9.20 % | 286 | 20.59 % |
| Tim Bell | 907.00 | 8.16 % | 385 | 27.72 % |
| Lauren Sell | 701.00 | 6.31 % | 303 | 21.81 % |
| Mark McLoughlin | 582.00 | 5.24 % | 242 | 17.42 % |
| Tristan Goode | 498.00 | 4.48 % | 188 | 13.53 % |
+------------------+----------+-----------+--------+---------+

The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 8 candidates
classified by the employer of the voter. Four categories are listed;
the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for that candidate
with the same employer as the candidate. The second, "%Major", is the
percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which is to say an
employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall (there are
about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this calculation). The
third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor" employer, i.e., one
specified by less than 5 individuals. The last, "%None", is the
percentage who listed no affiliation.

Source of Votes for Top 8 Candidates
+-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
| Name | Employer | %Employer | %Major | %Minor | %None |
+-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
| Monty Taylor | HP | 57 % | 22 % | 14 % | 7 % |
| Rob Hirschfeld | Dell | 59 % | 23 % | 13 % | 5 % |
| Troy Toman | Rackspace | 68 % | 18 % | 10 % | 4 % |
| Hui Cheng | SINA | | | 29 % | 31 % |
| Tim Bell | CERN | | | 23 % | 10 % |
| Lauren Sell | OpenStack Foundation | | | 19 % | 8 % |
| Mark McLoughlin | Red Hat | | | 24 % | 9 % |
| Tristan Goode | Aptira | | | 30 % | 12 % |
+-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
[Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]

The following table shows how voters who identified as affiliates of
"major" employers (see above) voted. Only the "major" employers with at
least 50 affiliated voters and at least 10% of their affiliates voting
for at least one candidate employed by the subject employer are listed
to preserve anonymity.

The first column after the name of the organization indicates the number
of voters claiming affiliation with that organization. Three percentages
are then listed: the first, "%Only Affiliated" is the percentage of
those voters who voted only for candidates employed by their affiliate
organization. The second, "%Including Affiliated", is the percentage who
voted for at least one candidate employed by their affiliate
organization. The third, "%Non Affiliated" is the percentage who did not
vote for any employee of their affiliate organization.

How Affiliates Voted
+-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
| | Number | %Only | %Including | %Non |
| Name | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated |
+-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
| Dell | 242 | 52 % | 90 % | 10 % |
| HP | 273 | 40 % | 87 % | 13 % |
| Rackspace | 261 | 32 % | 90 % | 10 % |
+-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 09:06 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> All credits for this should still go to James, as we used the same
> script, and his explanations for each table are used below.

Excellent work again, kudos guys.

> The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 8 candidates
> classified by the employer of the voter. Four categories are listed;
> the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for that candidate
> with the same employer as the candidate. The second, "%Major", is the
> percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which is to say an
> employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall (there are
> about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this calculation). The
> third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor" employer, i.e., one
> specified by less than 5 individuals. The last, "%None", is the
> percentage who listed no affiliation.
>
> Source of Votes for Top 8 Candidates
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> | Name | Employer | %Employer | %Major | %Minor | %None |
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> | Monty Taylor | HP | 57 % | 22 % | 14 % | 7 % |
> | Rob Hirschfeld | Dell | 59 % | 23 % | 13 % | 5 % |
> | Troy Toman | Rackspace | 68 % | 18 % | 10 % | 4 % |
> | Hui Cheng | SINA | | | 29 % | 31 % |
> | Tim Bell | CERN | | | 23 % | 10 % |
> | Lauren Sell | OpenStack Foundation | | | 19 % | 8 % |
> | Mark McLoughlin | Red Hat | | | 24 % | 9 % |
> | Tristan Goode | Aptira | | | 30 % | 12 % |
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> [Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]

What I'd focus on here is %Employer

Last time around it was:

| Rob Hirschfeld | Dell | 86 %
| Monty Taylor | HP | 75 %
| Joseph George | Dell | 88 %
| Troy Toman | Rackspace | 76 %

The smaller numbers this time around means the candidates' votes were
from a more diverse set of voters.

That's definitely a solid improvement, but it still looks to me like the
big blocks of affiliated voters have an overly large influence over the
result. If the affiliated blocks who voted for the top 3 candidates were
a more average size, I'm guessing they still would rank highly (which is
great) but it would be a much more closely run thing.

> The following table shows how voters who identified as affiliates of
> "major" employers (see above) voted. Only the "major" employers with at
> least 50 affiliated voters and at least 10% of their affiliates voting
> for at least one candidate employed by the subject employer are listed
> to preserve anonymity.
>
> The first column after the name of the organization indicates the number
> of voters claiming affiliation with that organization. Three percentages
> are then listed: the first, "%Only Affiliated" is the percentage of
> those voters who voted only for candidates employed by their affiliate
> organization. The second, "%Including Affiliated", is the percentage who
> voted for at least one candidate employed by their affiliate
> organization. The third, "%Non Affiliated" is the percentage who did not
> vote for any employee of their affiliate organization.
>
> How Affiliates Voted
> +-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
> | | Number | %Only | %Including | %Non |
> | Name | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated |
> +-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
> | Dell | 242 | 52 % | 90 % | 10 % |
> | HP | 273 | 40 % | 87 % | 13 % |
> | Rackspace | 261 | 32 % | 90 % | 10 % |
> +-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+

Compared to this last year:

| Dell | 470 | 81 % | 97 % | 3 % |
| HP | 304 | 55 % | 91 % | 9 % |
| Rackspace | 244 | 25 % | 85 % | 15 % |

it again looks like a good improvement - i.e. more diversity in voting
and smaller blocks of voters - but the numbers of voters affiliated with
these companies still seem surprisingly high, at least to me.

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 09:06 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > All credits for this should still go to James, as we used the same
> > script, and his explanations for each table are used below.
>
> Excellent work again, kudos guys.

> > The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 8 candidates
> > classified by the employer of the voter. Four categories are listed;
> > the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for that candidate
> > with the same employer as the candidate. The second, "%Major", is the
> > percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which is to say an
> > employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall (there are
> > about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this calculation). The
> > third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor" employer, i.e., one
> > specified by less than 5 individuals. The last, "%None", is the
> > percentage who listed no affiliation.
> >
> > Source of Votes for Top 8 Candidates
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> > | Name | Employer | %Employer | %Major | %Minor |
> %None |
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> > | Monty Taylor | HP | 57 % | 22 % | 14 % |
> 7 % |
> > | Rob Hirschfeld | Dell | 59 % | 23 % | 13 % |
> 5 % |
> > | Troy Toman | Rackspace | 68 % | 18 % | 10 % |
> 4 % |
> > | Hui Cheng | SINA | | | 29 % |
> 31 % |
> > | Tim Bell | CERN | | | 23 % |
> 10 % |
> > | Lauren Sell | OpenStack Foundation | | | 19 % |
> 8 % |
> > | Mark McLoughlin | Red Hat | | | 24 % |
> 9 % |
> > | Tristan Goode | Aptira | | | 30 % |
> 12 % |
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> > [Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]
>
> What I'd focus on here is %Employer
>
> Last time around it was:
>
> | Rob Hirschfeld | Dell | 86 %
> | Monty Taylor | HP | 75 %
> | Joseph George | Dell | 88 %
> | Troy Toman | Rackspace | 76 %
>
> The smaller numbers this time around means the candidates' votes were
> from a more diverse set of voters.
>
> That's definitely a solid improvement, but it still looks to me like the
> big blocks of affiliated voters have an overly large influence over the
> result. If the affiliated blocks who voted for the top 3 candidates were
> a more average size, I'm guessing they still would rank highly (which is
> great) but it would be a much more closely run thing.

Thanks for providing this data Vincent!

I'm surprised Lauren Sell's results were not also run against Rackspace --
I'm hopeful that would show the diversity of her base.

Reviewing this information now, it seems important to put it in the context
of the number of voters, and the affiliations of that pool.

Number of voters: 1389 · Group size: 4999 · Percentage voted: 27.79 (27.79
of total weight)
https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=2888d7aPUFe5Euveb5kiYNGT

vs from the August election:
Number of voters: 1935 · Group size: 5002 · Percentage voted: 38.68
https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=2601EKAFniDP554rVJb9RBxx

That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real call to
action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the pool. I suspect
that if the affiliations where examined we would see a disproportionate
drop off in the affiliations where senior leadership of those organizations
did not make the same well-meaning encouragement for participation this
time around. And, of course, because of the 6+ month membership
requirement, there was no ability to swell the ranks of the electorate
before the election .

I'm thankful that Mark Collier agreed to drop out of the race right before
voting began as two Foundation executives on the board in "Individual"
spots would have been a huge distraction to the success of the Foundation
in 2013.

We need to protect against this ever happening, and I am eager to see real
reform of the elections this year and protection of diversity. (We're all
responsible for the system failing to elect Anne Gentle, a candidate with
solid and diverse support being beaten by affiliated weighted votes in the
August 2012 election).

Thank you,
--
@lloyddewolf
http://www.pistoncloud.com/
Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 02/08/2013 08:37 PM, Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
> I'm surprised Lauren Sell's results were not also run against Rackspace
> -- I'm hopeful that would show the diversity of her base.

I would like to think that the OpenStack Foundation is not being seen as
a subsidiary of Rackspace! It's very important that it be both
independent and seen to be independent.

> That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real call to
> action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the pool. I
> suspect that if the affiliations where examined we would see a
> disproportionate drop off in the affiliations where senior leadership of
> those organizations did not make the same well-meaning encouragement for
> participation this time around. And, of course, because of the 6+ month
> membership requirement, there was no ability to swell the ranks of the
> electorate before the election .

Do we have a way to sunset memberships on a regular basis (say, someone
is no linger a member if after 2 years they don't renew their membership)?

> We need to protect against this ever happening, and I am eager to see
> real reform of the elections this year and protection of diversity.
> (We're all responsible for the system failing to elect Anne Gentle, a
> candidate with solid and diverse support being beaten by affiliated
> weighted votes in the August 2012 election).

While I can see where you're coming from, I don't think it would have
been bad to have Mark on the board. I don't know him, but he has seemed
fair-minded and passionate about OpenStack in all my dealings with him
to date.

The question is: do we want a special rule that no more than one
employee of the OpenStack Foundation can be on the board? I can see the
point (especially in the context of your subtle hint that most employees
to date have come from Rackspace), but shouldn't the OpenStack
Foundation be considered like an employer like any other now that it is
an independent entity?

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
On 2013-02-08 11:37:28 -0800 (-0800), Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
[...]
> That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real
> call to action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the
> pool. I suspect that if the affiliations where examined we would
> see a disproportionate drop off in the affiliations where senior
> leadership of those organizations did not make the same
> well-meaning encouragement for participation this time around.
> And, of course, because of the 6+ month membership requirement,
> there was no ability to swell the ranks of the electorate before
> the election.
[...]

I was one of those who voted in the first election but was
ineligible to cast a vote in the second due to timing. Given that
there was a major call for participation within the OpenStack
community immediately prior to the first round with the recent
formation of the Foundation (coincident to when I joined), I
wouldn't be surprised if this had a bigger impact on turn out than
anyone realizes. I would have voted in the most recent election if
my membership hadn't been just shy of the 6-month mark, and am
honestly a little disappointed I was unable to participate.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
On 2013-02-08 19:56:34 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> I wouldn't be surprised if this had a bigger impact on turn out
> than anyone realizes.
[...]

Nevermind. I missed that the "Group size: 4999" vs. "5002" meant
there were only three of us eligible to vote in the first election
and not in the second. (Thanks, Lloyd, for pointing this out.) I
hereby retract my assertion that it would have had any statistically
significant impact on the overall reduction in votes cast.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Le vendredi 08 février 2013, à 20:52 +0100, Dave Neary a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 02/08/2013 08:37 PM, Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
> >I'm surprised Lauren Sell's results were not also run against Rackspace
> >-- I'm hopeful that would show the diversity of her base.

Interesting, I also got this comment from someone else.

> I would like to think that the OpenStack Foundation is not being
> seen as a subsidiary of Rackspace! It's very important that it be
> both independent and seen to be independent.

This is one reason I didn't look into such stats. I also don't like the
idea of focusing just on Lauren here: it would also makes sense to look
at past employers / circles of interest of each elected person in that
case. This can easily become a slippery slope.

> >That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real call to
> >action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the pool. I
> >suspect that if the affiliations where examined we would see a
> >disproportionate drop off in the affiliations where senior leadership of
> >those organizations did not make the same well-meaning encouragement for
> >participation this time around. And, of course, because of the 6+ month
> >membership requirement, there was no ability to swell the ranks of the
> >electorate before the election .
>
> Do we have a way to sunset memberships on a regular basis (say,
> someone is no linger a member if after 2 years they don't renew
> their membership)?

See
http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/IndividualMembershipPolicy

"The Secretary and the Executive Director, acting together, may, or the
Board of Directors may direct the Secretary and Executive Director to,
terminate an Individual Member as follows: (i) for violation of the
Individual Member Agreement if the violation is not cured within the
period provided in the Individual Member Agreement, (ii) for violation
of the Community Code of Conduct, or (iii) failure to vote in at least
50% of the votes for Individual Members within the prior twenty-four
months unless the person does not respond within thirty (30) days of
notice of such termination that the person wishes to continue to be an
Individual Member."

So the relevant part here is "failure to vote in at least 50% of the

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
I strongly object to the assertion that employment history should be
considered in the way you propose. Having worked with Lauren closely in the
past year, I am surprised at the implication behind your statement.

I worked for IBM for 15 years and found this an excellent experience, I've
moved on to other activities, have good relationships with former colleagues
and fond memories but I was elected to represent the individuals of the
foundation.

I am sure that all other individual directors feel the same.

Tim

Re: Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013) [ In reply to ]
Firstly, I declare wholeheartedly that Lauren and Mark are outstanding representatives of OpenStack, clearly the very best, and I am certain that Lloyd's motive is not personal or malicious and nor is my reason for chiming in here.

Given the large number of Rackspace employees in the membership it is reasonable to assume the electorate may view with suspicion _any_ very recent Rackspace employee's election success, so perhaps all successful candidates should be placed under the same scrutiny that Monty, Rob and Troy are.

Possibly, this also highlights a potentially exploitable inadequacy in the bylaws. Why is the same rule not applied to employees of a company that their company affiliation of the last 12 months not be declared but a contractor needs to declare that?

Referring to the bylaw in question, Section 4.17.

(b) For the purposes of the Director Diversity Requirement, the term "Affiliated" or "Affiliation" in the Bylaws is defined as follows:

(i) relationships between Members who are business entities and Members who are individuals (whether Individual Members, Gold Members or Platinum Members), the individual is a (i) board member, officer or employee of the business entity or its Affiliated Group (as defined in Section 2.5) or (ii) an independent contractor to the business entity or its Affiliated Group who has earned more than $60,000 in the most recent twelve month period; or

Perhaps it should be more along the lines of:

(b) For the purposes of the Director Diversity Requirement, the term "Affiliated" or "Affiliation" in the Bylaws is defined as follows:

(i) relationships between Members who are business entities and Members who are individuals (whether Individual Members, Gold Members or Platinum Members), the individual is a
(a) board member, officer or employee of the business entity or its Affiliated Group (as defined in Section 2.5); or

(b) an independent contractor to the business entity or its Affiliated Group who has earned more than $60,000;

in the most recent twelve month period; or

Aside from the current clause's poor formatting and numbering (the (i) within (i)'s) this clause should possibly not just declare contractors but anyone's employment in the last 12 months as an affiliation. The current wording allows that someone can be an employee, officer or board member up to the day before nomination, then quit on that day and the day after they are no longer affiliated.