Mailing List Archive

Technical committee
Hi everyone,

The current structure document is quite open on the Technical committee
organization. Here are my proposals to keep it efficient... Please comment.

= Technical committee =

== Mission ==

The Technical Committee (TC) is tasked with providing the technical
leadership for the OpenStack project. It enforces OpenStack core
projects ideals (Openness, Transparency, Commonality, Integration,
Respect of release deadlines, Facilitation of downstream distribution
[0]), decides on issues affecting multiple projects, and generally forms
an ultimate appeals board for technical decisions.

== Members ==

The TC is composed of 9 elected members. You can cumulate other roles
(Project technical lead, Foundation board member...) with a TC seat.
Note that Project technical leads do not get appointed seats to the TC:
they should run for election[1].

== Meeting ==

TC meetings happen publicly, weekly on IRC. The TC maintains an open
agenda on the wiki. A TC meeting is called if anything is posted to that
wiki at least one day before the meeting time. For a meeting to be
actually held, at least two thirds of the members need to be present (6
people). Non-members, in particular unelected PTLs or release manager,
are more than welcome to participate to the meeting and voice their
opinion, though they can't ultimately vote.

== Motions ==

Before being put to a vote, motions presented before the TC should be
discussed publicly on the mailing-list[2] for a minimum of 5 days to
give a chance to the wider community to express their opinion. Members
can vote positively, negatively, or abstain. Decisions need more
positive votes than negative votes, and a minimum of 3 positive votes.

== Election ==

The TC is renewed every 6 months using staggered elections: 5 seats are
renewed every 6 months. People ranking 1st to 4th get elected for a
one-year term. The 5th person gets elected for a 6-month term. People
ranking after 6th are retained as potential substitute members (see
"Revocation").

== Voters ==

Technical members of the Foundation, as determined by the Technical
membership committee[3], are able to participate in this election.

== Revocation ==

TC members are expected to be available and participate to weekly
meetings. If a particular TC member misses 3 of the last 5 called
meetings, he should automatically be revoked. He would be replaced by
the top substitute (person ranking 6th and after in previous election).
Even when replacing someone elected for 1 year, the substitute inherits
from the shortest term; the highest ranking elected person inherits from
the potential longer term[4].

== Initial election ==

To initially populate the TC, all 9 seats are up for election. People
ranking 1st to 4th get elected for one year. People ranking 5th to 9th
get elected for 6 months[5].

[0] From http://wiki.openstack.org/ProjectTypes

[1] The idea is that we want to de-correlate the number of PTLs (and the
relative importance of their projects) from the TC composition, to
reduce committee bloat and be more fair. Influential PTLs from large
projects should get elected anyway.

[2] Could be the openstack ML or a specific TC ML. The idea is to avoid
surprising the community with a decision, and avoid the usual kabbale
critics.

[3] More on this later.

[4] Example: Fx got elected in Fall 2012, while Sx got elected in Spring
2013. Current board as F1, F2, F3, F4, S5 elected until Fall 2013, and
S1, S2, S3, S4 elected until Spring 2014. S2 is a slacker is is revoked.
S6 is called as a substitute. He should not get a longer term than S5
though. So S5 inherits from the 1-year-long term and S6 from the
6-month-long term. Resulting board is: F1, F2, F3, F4, S6 elected until
Fall 2013, and S1, S3, S4, S5 elected until Spring 2014.

[5] We may want to re-align elections with release cycles. Example: If
TC is created in July 2012, we may want to align elections with the next
design summits, so the first term only be 2 months or 8 months.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack
Technical committee [ In reply to ]
This is a well-written proposal, and I can't find anything that I would
disagree with.

+1

-jay

Technical committee [ In reply to ]
This is very well done. I completely agree. Would you propose we move
to this at the next election in a couple months?

Rick