Mailing List Archive

Issues configuring DPDK settings in openstack queens
Hello All,

On a 3 node (one controller + 2 compute), we configured Openstack
Queens using OSA with OVS. On all the nodes, we defined br-mgmt as
linux bridge, br-tun as private network and br-flat as external.
Installation was successful and we could create networks and
instances on Openstack.

Below are the versions of the OVS packages used on each node.

Controller :- openstack-vswitch - 2.9.0
Computes :- openstack-vswitch-dpdk - 2.9.0 (as we wanted to
configure dpdk on the compute hosts)

The openstack-vswitch-dpdk 2.9.0 package that we installed
had dpdk version 17.11.3. When we tried to enable DPDK it failed
with the below error.

dpdk|ERR|DPDK not supported in this copy of Open vSwitch

So, we downloaded the sources for dpdk 17.11.4 and openvswitch 2.9.2,
built openvswitch with dpdk as suggested in the below official link.
No issues on Openstack or OVS.
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/

Then, we added the below parameters to OVS and everything looked ok.
No issues in Openstack or OVS.

$ovs-vsctl get Open_vSwitch . other_config
{dpdk-extra="-n 2", dpdk-init="true", dpdk-lcore-mask="0x300000000000",
dpdk-socket-mem="4096,4096", pmd-cpu-mask="0xf00003c0000",
vhost-iommu-support="true"}

Then on the compute node, in openvswitch_agent.ini file - OVS section,
I added the below (based on the link
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/pike/contributor/internals/ovs_vhostuser.html
)
and restarted neutron-openmvswitch-agent service.

datapath_type=netdev
vhostuser_socket_dir=/var/run/openvswitch

After the above change, bridge br-flat is getting deleted from OVS.
Attached are the logs after I restart the neutron-openmvswitch-agent
service on the compute now. Not sure what the issue is.

Can any of you please let me know if we are missing anything?

Best Regards,
PVMJ