Openssh with Openssl Engine Support
Hi

I am trying to use Openssh(openssh-5.2p1) with Openssl (0.9.8i) engine support thus providing HW offload for cipher and hash operations into my Crypto driver. But for some reason when I run the sshd I am not able to connect any ssh clients to it. When I run the sshd I do see some hash operations going into the crypto HW driver, but ultimately I am not sure why the ssl client would not be able to connect to it.
Also if I remove the Engine support for Openssl (having it to follow the normal cipher and hash) I am able to connect the clients and all is fine. But its only when I use the engine offload I have a problem. I have tested Openssl (by running normal openssl commands) with engine support and that works fine.
Are there any known issues of openssh working with Openssl engine or am I missing some configuration.
Any suggestions what could be the problem or what could be done..

Thanks,
-Shasi
Re: Openssh with Openssl Engine Support [ In reply to ]
Shasi Pulijala wrote:
> I am trying to use Openssh(openssh-5.2p1) with Openssl (0.9.8i)
> engine support thus providing HW offload for cipher and hash
> operations into my Crypto driver.

What kind of crypto hardware on what operating system?

> But for some reason when I run the
> sshd I am not able to connect any ssh clients to it. When I run the
> sshd I do see some hash operations going into the crypto HW driver,
> but ultimately I am not sure why the ssl client would not be able to
> connect to it.

Define "not able to connect"? There's an error message? If so, what?
If you connect with debugging ("ssh -vvv server") what does it say?

> Also if I remove the Engine support for Openssl
> (having it to follow the normal cipher and hash)

Which ciphers work and which don't?

> I am able to connect
> the clients and all is fine. But its only when I use the engine
> offload I have a problem.

Does using the client and server compiled with engine support work together?

> I have tested Openssl (by running normal
> openssl commands) with engine support and that works fine.

How did you test it, and did you test interoperation with another
implementation (eg the software implementation of the same ciphers)?

> Are there
> any known issues of openssh working with Openssl engine or am I
> missing some configuration. Any suggestions what could be the problem
> or what could be done..

On the OpenSSH side all it does is call the OpenSSL functions
ENGINE_load_builtin_engines() and ENGINE_register_all_complete() so I
would be looking on the OpenSSL side.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.