Mailing List Archive

Option equivalent to -n in client?
Hey all,

I was hoping to add something to ~/.ssh/config where a certain class of hosts always gets the equivalent of `-n` flag added. I've had a look through both the ssh client and ssh_config manuals and it seems like there is no corresponding option?

Could such an option be added? Maybe something like "NoStdin yes" or "StdinSource /dev/null".

Cheers!
Re: Option equivalent to -n in client? [ In reply to ]
Dear asymptosis, all,

Some time ago I created (and offered on this list) a similar patch for
the uppercase `-N` flag, which also has no corresponding sshconfig
option.

Back then it didn't receive much interest (no offense, this was just
my impression), but I could give it a second try, forward-port it and
adjust it for adding a `-n` flag equivalent as well.

Would that make sense?

Best regards,
Volker Diels-Grabsch

asymptosis wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was hoping to add something to ~/.ssh/config where a certain class of hosts always gets the equivalent of `-n` flag added. I've had a look through both the ssh client and ssh_config manuals and it seems like there is no corresponding option?
>
> Could such an option be added? Maybe something like "NoStdin yes" or "StdinSource /dev/null".
>
> Cheers!

Volker Diels-Grabsch
----<<<((()))>>>----
Re: Option equivalent to -n in client? [ In reply to ]
>Some time ago I created (and offered on this list) a similar patch for
>the uppercase `-N` flag, which also has no corresponding sshconfig
>option.
>
>Back then it didn't receive much interest (no offense, this was just
>my impression), but I could give it a second try, forward-port it and
>adjust it for adding a `-n` flag equivalent as well.
>
>Would that make sense?

Thanks! I hope this will be considered. Is there a link to the original discussion?
Re: Option equivalent to -n in client? [ In reply to ]
asymptosis wrote:
> > Some time ago I created (and offered on this list) a similar patch for
> > the uppercase `-N` flag, which also has no corresponding sshconfig
> > option.
> >
> > Back then it didn't receive much interest (no offense, this was just
> > my impression), but I could give it a second try, forward-port it and
> > adjust it for adding a `-n` flag equivalent as well.
> >
> > Would that make sense?
>
> Thanks! I hope this will be considered. Is there a link to the original discussion?

You can find the old patch and discussion at:

https://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=147248154926769

Regards,
Volker

--