thing...
any ideas ?

Thanks.
Re: need help with compiling openssh [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Amirian wrote:

> It's giving me
>
> checking for openssl directory... configure: error: could not find
> working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install
>
> but I've already installed it. I've also tried with the option...
> humm... ssl-dir or something like that to give it the path to my ssl
> libraries myself but I'm getting the same thing... any ideas ?

Can you send the last 100 or so lines of the config.log that gets
generated?

Thanks,
Damien Miller

Re: need help with compiling openssh [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Amirian wrote:

> checking for openssl directory... configure: error: could not find working
> SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install
>
> but I've already installed it.
> I've also tried with the option... humm... ssl-dir or something like that to
> give it the path to my ssl libraries myself but I'm getting the same
> thing...
> any ideas ?

This is a bug in the configure script...or something like it.

If you look at config.log, you should see that it fails to link
libcrypto.a to the test binary it makes...for some reason, it doesn't
apply the correct include/library directives to the compile, which would
cause OpenSSH to fail to compile to.

Anyway, the fix should be a simple:

cd /usr/local/lib; ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a .

Of course, modify where libcrypto.a is for your system.

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Look, I'm not going to say Limp Bizkit sucks. You know it... I know
it... I'm not going to say it. -- Trent Reznor
Re: need help with compiling openssh [ In reply to ]
I think openssl has recently changed where the libs are stored. Several
programs that use SSL have the same problem. To get around this, I
symlinked libcrypto.a and libssl.a into the top of the ssl directory:

/usr/local/ssl/libcrypto.a -> lib/libcrypto.a
/usr/local/ssl/libssl.a -> lib/libssl.a

After that all the apps built properly.
-Lee

> I'm trying to compile OpenSSH, latest version on my Linux box.
> I know that it requires openssl and I've installed the 0.9.5a and it's
> working just fine.
>
> Now when I'm trying to ./configure the openssh with the options
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/openssh/ --without-pam --without-shadow
> --with-tcp-wrappers
> It's giving me
>
> checking for openssl directory... configure: error: could not find working
> SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install
>
> but I've already installed it.
> I've also tried with the option... humm... ssl-dir or something like that to
> give it the path to my ssl libraries myself but I'm getting the same
> thing...
> any ideas ?
>
> Thanks.

---end quoted text---

--
Lee Eakin - leakin@ti.com - Naming Services, Texas Instruments -o)
[ permanent e-mail: Lee@Eakin.Org ] /\\
Re: need help with compiling openssh [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Amirian wrote:

> hi,
> I'm trying to compile OpenSSH, latest version on my Linux box.
> I know that it requires openssl and I've installed the 0.9.5a and it's
> working just fine.
>
> Now when I'm trying to ./configure the openssh with the options
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/openssh/ --without-pam --without-shadow
> --with-tcp-wrappers
> It's giving me

The default installation directory for OpenSSL is /usr/local/ssl as far as I
know so if you ass "--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl" to your configure line it should
work just fine, otherwise check where it was installed and use that path
instead.

--
Ted Parnefors <ted@mtv.se>, KeyID 0x6627DEE4
PGP Fingerprint 1C39FA94703EB54A011CF18932018E256627DEE4
Re: need help with compiling openssh [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Ted Parnefors wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Amirian wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > I'm trying to compile OpenSSH, latest version on my Linux box.
> > I know that it requires openssl and I've installed the 0.9.5a and it's
> > working just fine.
> >
> > Now when I'm trying to ./configure the openssh with the options
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin/openssh/ --without-pam --without-shadow
> > --with-tcp-wrappers
> > It's giving me
>
> The default installation directory for OpenSSL is /usr/local/ssl as far as I
> know so if you ass "--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl" to your configure line it should
> work just fine, otherwise check where it was installed and use that path
> instead.

Oooops! Typo! :) Of course that should be "--with-ssl-dir" and not
"--with-ssl".