Mailing List Archive

TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3
A new test release of OpenSSH-1.2.3 is now available at
http://violet.ibs.com.au/openssh/files/test/

This release should fix the problems reported with the previous
test release over the last few days.

Please give it a try and report back.

-d

Changelog:

20000315
- Fix broken CFLAGS handling during search for OpenSSL. Fixes va_list
problems with gcc/Solaris.
- Don't free argument to putenv() after use (in setenv() replacement).
Report from Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
- Created contrib/ subdirectory. Included helpers from Phil Hands'
Debian package, README file and chroot patch from Ricardo Cerqueira
<rmcc@clix.pt>
- Moved gnome-ssh-askpass.c to contrib directory and reomved config
option.
- Slight cleanup to doc files

20000314
- Include macro for IN6_IS_ADDR_V4MAPPED. Report from
peter@frontierflying.com
- Include /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib for systems that don't
do it themselves
- -R/usr/local/lib for Solaris
- Fix RSAref detection
- Fix IN6_IS_ADDR_V4MAPPED macro

Re: TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3 [ In reply to ]
I had to change the LDFLAGS to get this release to work on my Solaris 2.7
box:

removed "-L/usr/ucblib", "-R/usr/ucblib", "-L/usr/local/ssl" and
"-R/usr/local/ssl" (not necessary to get sshd to run, they're just
superfluous).

added "-L/usr/local/lib" and "-R/usr/local/lib" (to get rid of the can't
find zlib problem when starting sshd from a default environment where
LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't set - my zlib is in /usr/local/lib).

-David Hesprich

-+
| David G. Hesprich, CISSP, TIP #245 | "You have created a new world among
|
| darkgrue@iname.com | the three of you. I congratulate
|
| http://www.gue-tech.org/darkgrue/ | you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to
|
| | me, to everyone, and may each of you
|
| It is dark. You might be eaten by | fry in hell forever. Arrest
|
| a grue. | recended." - Asimov, "The Dead Past"

-+
Re: TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 10:33:20AM -0500, David G. Hesprich wrote:
> I had to change the LDFLAGS to get this release to work on my Solaris 2.7
> box:
>
> removed "-L/usr/ucblib", "-R/usr/ucblib", "-L/usr/local/ssl" and
> "-R/usr/local/ssl" (not necessary to get sshd to run, they're just
> superfluous).

I do wonder about the inclusion of /usr/ucblib in the first place:
even if gcc is used (probably bacuse the native compiler package is
probably not installed), /usr/ucblib is included.

Unless the SPROcc package is installed, `man cc' shows:

NAME
cc - C compiler

SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [ options ]

DESCRIPTION
/usr/ucb/cc is the interface to the BSD Compatibility Pack-
age C compiler. It is a script that looks for the link
/usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc to the C compiler. /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc is
available only with the SPROcc package, whose default loca-
tion is /opt/SUNWspro. /usr/ucb/cc is identical to
/usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc, except that BSD headers are used and BSD
libraries are linked before base libraries. The
/opt/SUNWspro/man/man1/acc.1 man page is available only with
the SPROcc package.
[...]

My feeling is that /usr/ucb* stuff may not be used unless the native
sun compiler is to be used. Could be wrong here though, since I am
just temporarily tinkering with solaris to put openssh and rpm on.

Mate
Re: TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 10:33:20AM -0500, David G. Hesprich wrote:
> I had to change the LDFLAGS to get this release to work on my Solaris 2.7
> box:
>
> removed "-L/usr/ucblib", "-R/usr/ucblib", "-L/usr/local/ssl" and
> "-R/usr/local/ssl" (not necessary to get sshd to run, they're just
> superfluous).
>
> added "-L/usr/local/lib" and "-R/usr/local/lib" (to get rid of the can't
> find zlib problem when starting sshd from a default environment where
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't set - my zlib is in /usr/local/lib).

In my case, I do have zlib in /usr/local/lib, and

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/space/local/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/x11r5/lib

Nevertheless,

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"

is not enough. Indeed, I tried

export LD_RUN_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib" \
./configure --prefix=/space/local

but I still have

ssh mw@moni
ld.so.1: ssh: fatal: libz.so: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

I think this is because in the Makefile, I still see

LDFLAGS=-L. -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib -L/space/local/lib
-L/space/local -R/space/local/lib -R/space/local

so no /usr/local anywhere.

I'd like to add, that the only way I could make ssh work was to move
zlib to /space/local/lib. Alternatively, all worked if I did

./configure --prefix=/space/local

make LDFLAGS="-L. -L/space/local/lib -R/space/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"

Perhaps configure could detect this problem of ssh not finding
zlib---I see the problem *only* after compiling, and then trying to
run ssh.

Mate
Re: TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:21:41PM -0500, Dark Grue wrote:

> > I think this is because in the Makefile, I still see
> >
> > LDFLAGS=-L. -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib -L/space/local/lib
> > -L/space/local -R/space/local/lib -R/space/local
> >
> > so no /usr/local anywhere.
>
> Sorry, I should have been less obtuse. The changes I mentioned that I made
> (adding and removing -L and -R flags) I made to the Makefile after running
> configure with the appropriate input vectors. I found it easier to make the
> change there, rather than try and induce the behavior by setting environment
> variables and such.

Nevertheless, I thought configure needs to propagate LDFLAGS to the
Makefile. Apparently, it does not.

Mate
Re: TEST RELEASE: 1.2.3pre3 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, David G. Hesprich wrote:

> I had to change the LDFLAGS to get this release to work on my Solaris 2.7
> box:
>
> removed "-L/usr/ucblib", "-R/usr/ucblib", "-L/usr/local/ssl" and
> "-R/usr/local/ssl" (not necessary to get sshd to run, they're just
> superfluous).
>
> added "-L/usr/local/lib" and "-R/usr/local/lib" (to get rid of the can't
> find zlib problem when starting sshd from a default environment where
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't set - my zlib is in /usr/local/lib).

Found the problem: on line 1196 of configure change

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib"

LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib"

Tell me if it works.

-d