Solaris cc provides but GNU does not. I put /usr/include as -idirafter
instead of -I, and it worked for me. Perhaps check for -idirafter as a
compiler option, and use it if available?

- The man pages don't format properly ("what nroff" gives roff: n1.c 2.13).
All the text runs together into one long paragraph. I am unfamiliar with
writing man and nroff, and my attempts to fix things just made it worse.
`
Jay Levitt
Re: A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 12:37:44AM -0500, Jay@aol.com wrote:
> These are all in the port of 1.2.3pre2:
>
> - configure accepts --includedir, but doesn't seem to pass it on to the
> Makefile. You have to edit the Makefile manually if you have include files
> anywhere but /usr/include. Which is a problem because...
>
> - The Makefile doesn't include /usr/local/include by default, which is where
> zlib installs itself by default. Probably oughta be in there. Same with
> /usr/local/lib. If you install your gcc to the default directory /usr/local,
I had a problem which might be related to this: while openssh compiles
fine, when I try to run ssh as a nonprivileged user, it complains not
being able to find zlib (libz.so). When I run ssh as root, all is
well.

This is on Solaris 2.6 (+ many patches of 2.7).

> - The man pages don't format properly ("what nroff" gives roff: n1.c 2.13).
> All the text runs together into one long paragraph. I am unfamiliar with
> writing man and nroff, and my attempts to fix things just made it worse.

I verify the above. Maybe we need to install groff?

Mate
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis
Re: A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:52:01AM -0600, Sean Aaron Lisse wrote:
> > > - The Makefile doesn't include /usr/local/include by default, which is where
> > > zlib installs itself by default. Probably oughta be in there. Same with
> > > /usr/local/lib. If you install your gcc to the default directory /usr/local,
> > I had a problem which might be related to this: while openssh compiles
> > fine, when I try to run ssh as a nonprivileged user, it complains not
> > being able to find zlib (libz.so). When I run ssh as root, all is
> > well.
>
> Silly question: Have you checked the access permissions on the libraries
> to make sure they are user-readable?

ls -l /space/local/lib/libz.*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root other 70488 Mar 10 17:26
/space/local/lib/libz.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 13 Mar 10 17:31
/space/local/lib/libz.so -> libz.so.1.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 13 Mar 10 17:31
/space/local/lib/libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.1.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root other 85600 Mar 10 17:26 /space/local/lib/libz.so.1.1.3

Thx
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis
Re: A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2 [ In reply to ]
In a message dated 3/13/00 10:47:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mw@moni.msci.memphis.edu writes:

> I had a problem which might be related to this: while openssh compiles
> fine, when I try to run ssh as a nonprivileged user, it complains not
> being able to find zlib (libz.so). When I run ssh as root, all is
> well.

Is it possible something is in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable in root's
.profile/.cshrc that isn't in your own?

Also, try rebuilding while adding -L/usr/local/lib to the Makefile.

Jay
Re: A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 02:55:48PM -0500, Jay@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 3/13/00 10:47:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> mw@moni.msci.memphis.edu writes:
>
> > I had a problem which might be related to this: while openssh compiles
> > fine, when I try to run ssh as a nonprivileged user, it complains not
> > being able to find zlib (libz.so). When I run ssh as root, all is
> > well.
>
> Is it possible something is in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable in root's
> .profile/.cshrc that isn't in your own?

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/space/local/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/x11r5/lib

Re: A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Jay@aol.com wrote:

> These are all in the port of 1.2.3pre2:
>
> - configure accepts --includedir, but doesn't seem to pass it on to the
> Makefile. You have to edit the Makefile manually if you have include files
> anywhere but /usr/include. Which is a problem because...

You can use CFLAGS="-I/path/to/includes" ./configure to work around this.

> - The Makefile doesn't include /usr/local/include by default, which is where
> zlib installs itself by default. Probably oughta be in there. Same with
> /usr/local/lib. If you install your gcc to the default directory /usr/local,
> gcc will include them automatically, but if your gcc is in, say, /usr/cygnus
> it won't.

I have added /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib to the platform
specific defines in configure for the next version.

> - The Makefile DOES include /usr/include, however. Unfortunately, running
> gcc on a Solaris box, you want to pick up varargs.h from (gcc-lib)/include,
> not /usr/include, or else you'll get errors about __builtin_va_alist, which
> Solaris cc provides but GNU does not. I put /usr/include as -idirafter
> instead of -I, and it worked for me. Perhaps check for -idirafter as a
> compiler option, and use it if available?

Can you send me the exact flags that you used so I can include them?

> - The man pages don't format properly ("what nroff" gives roff: n1.c 2.13).
> All the text runs together into one long paragraph. I am unfamiliar with
> writing man and nroff, and my attempts to fix things just made it worse.

You can always use the preformatted manpages "./configure --with-catman=cat"

Thanks,
Damien