Thanks,

Andrew Stribblehill
Systems Programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:

> Where is the best place for me to change the PID file location? I
> _could_ change it in ssh.h but then I'd have to do this every
> time. Am I best to put in a -DPIDDIR="/etc" or something?
> Alternatively, would it be easy to change the configure.in stuff
> to let me do a --pid-dir="/etc" or a --pid-file="/etc/ssh.pid"?

Isn't /var/run on of those directories used for holding pid type files,
or is this not a standard yet?

Ben
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:01:23PM -0500, Ben Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
>
> > Where is the best place for me to change the PID file location? I
> > _could_ change it in ssh.h but then I'd have to do this every
> > time. Am I best to put in a -DPIDDIR="/etc" or something?
> > Alternatively, would it be easy to change the configure.in stuff
> > to let me do a --pid-dir="/etc" or a --pid-file="/etc/ssh.pid"?
>
> Isn't /var/run on of those directories used for holding pid type files,
> or is this not a standard yet?

There is no such directory in my Solaris 7 environment.

--
Willard Francis Otto Dawson +1 770 814 5099 / +1 770 814 5202 FAX
Siemens Business Services, ENS mailto:willard.dawson@sbs.siemens.com
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Willard Dawson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:01:23PM -0500, Ben Taylor wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> >
> > > Where is the best place for me to change the PID file location? I
> > > _could_ change it in ssh.h but then I'd have to do this every
> > > time. Am I best to put in a -DPIDDIR="/etc" or something?
> > > Alternatively, would it be easy to change the configure.in stuff
> > > to let me do a --pid-dir="/etc" or a --pid-file="/etc/ssh.pid"?
> >
> > Isn't /var/run on of those directories used for holding pid type files,
> > or is this not a standard yet?
>
> There is no such directory in my Solaris 7 environment.

Yep. I was looking at my Solaris 8 box.

Ben
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
Quoting Damien Miller <djm@mindrot.org>:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
>
> > Where is the best place for me to change the PID file location? I
> > _could_ change it in ssh.h but then I'd have to do this every
> > time. Am I best to put in a -DPIDDIR="/etc" or something?
> > Alternatively, would it be easy to change the configure.in stuff
> > to let me do a --pid-dir="/etc" or a --pid-file="/etc/ssh.pid"?
>
> There is now a --with-pid-dir option.

Marvellous. Is it possible to change the manpage for sshd.8 to
reflect this, in the same way that /etc is remapped? I would
submit a patch but it appears that fixpaths relies on the variable
being defined in the Makefile and it's not my place to make such a
change!

Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:

> Marvellous. Is it possible to change the manpage for sshd.8 to
> reflect this, in the same way that /etc is remapped? I would
> submit a patch but it appears that fixpaths relies on the variable
> being defined in the Makefile and it's not my place to make such a
> change!

Coming right up...

I may change the way that the paths are substituted into the
manpages in the near future to a system that allows me to use the
unmodified OpenBSD manpages (to keep the diff size down).

Regards,
Damien

Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
Damien Miller wrote:
8< snip 8<
> I may change the way that the paths are substituted into the
> manpages in the near future to a system that allows me to use the
> unmodified OpenBSD manpages (to keep the diff size down).

Yep, fixpaths was always a hack. The problem I saw with that was
distinguishing between OpenBSD's SSH config files and system files in
/etc. I suppose you could substitute for /etc/<config file> where config
file is one of {ssh_config, sshd_config, shosts.equiv ssh_host_key*},
and though I can think of a few cases where that might break that it
would most likely be fine.

I guess I didn't count on the man pages changing that often, which in
retrospect was probably a mistake. Since I haven't seen anyone else jump
at the opportunity to provide preformatted manpages, I guess I could do
that. Now that I know that you want to avoid heavy diff work, I'll try
out the above substitution scheme to see how it flies.

Do you want to do the substitutions from configure, or as a make target?

Ta,
-Andre
Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Andre Lucas wrote:

> Yep, fixpaths was always a hack. The problem I saw with that was
> distinguishing between OpenBSD's SSH config files and system files
> in /etc. I suppose you could substitute for /etc/<config file>
> where config file is one of {ssh_config, sshd_config, shosts.equiv
> ssh_host_key*}, and though I can think of a few cases where that
> might break that it would most likely be fine.

Fixpaths is OK, just the way we use it needs to change a bit.
Instead of replacing @sysconfdir@ in manpages, etc we need to be
replacing "/etc/ssh_config".

> I guess I didn't count on the man pages changing that often, which
> in retrospect was probably a mistake.

The problem is not so much the changing, rather that a) we want the
input files to fixpaths to be identified somehow and b) diff doesn't
have a nice way of handling renamed files.

> Since I haven't seen anyone else jump at the opportunity to provide
> preformatted manpages, I guess I could do that. Now that I know
> that you want to avoid heavy diff work, I'll try out the above
> substitution scheme to see how it flies.

Excellent. How about converting from (for example) sshd.8 to
sshd.8.out and sshd.8.catman

> Do you want to do the substitutions from configure, or as a make
> target?

A makefile target would probably be best.

Thanks again,
Damien Miller

Re: PID file [ In reply to ]
Damien Miller wrote:

8<
> Fixpaths is OK, just the way we use it needs to change a bit.
> Instead of replacing @sysconfdir@ in manpages, etc we need to be
> replacing "/etc/ssh_config".

Ok

> > I guess I didn't count on the man pages changing that often, which
> > in retrospect was probably a mistake.
>
> The problem is not so much the changing, rather that a) we want the
> input files to fixpaths to be identified somehow and b) diff doesn't
> have a nice way of handling renamed files.

Ah, I see what you mean now. It will be simple to have fixpaths write a
different filename and have the Makefile install that. Cleaner, too, now
there is more than one potential install target (troff or preformatted.)

> > Since I haven't seen anyone else jump at the opportunity to provide
> > preformatted manpages, I guess I could do that. Now that I know
> > that you want to avoid heavy diff work, I'll try out the above
> > substitution scheme to see how it flies.
>
> Excellent. How about converting from (for example) sshd.8 to
> sshd.8.out and sshd.8.catman

Fine. Input from OpenBSD filenames, output to whatever we need.

BTW not all systems put administrative manual pages in man/man8. HPUX
uses man1m, for example. It's OK to put them in man8 (and it works just
fine) but putting them in the 'right' directory would be a nice
finishing touch. Not any kind of priority, however.