Mailing List Archive

IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
Yo Damien!

This has been discussed a lot on linux-ipsec. It seems that if the
ipv6 changes are done properly it should be limited to just a few
function call. Of course one guys "proper" is anothers "kludge".

If it can be handled by putting in the stubs for the ipv6 now than
that seems to me to be the way to go. Once the trees diverge it
is always a bummer to get them back together...

So back to you, how much has changed in the openBSD version?

RGDS
GARY

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Damien Miller wrote:

> A couple of days ago, Markus Friedl merged IPv6 support into the
> OpenBSD CVS tree. This is a welcome addition, but it presents a few
> potential problems for the port.
[...]
> Comments?

Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
gem@rellim.com Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
På 2000-Jan-07 klokka 13:56:19 +1100 skrivet Damien Miller:

: A couple of days ago, Markus Friedl merged IPv6 support into the
: OpenBSD CVS tree. This is a welcome addition, but it presents a few
: potential problems for the port.

[...]

: This could be worked around by liberal use of #ifdefs through the
: code, but this is something that I am loathe to do. One of my goals
: has been to keep the _source_ differences as small as possible between
: the OpenBSD source and my own.

Damien, is this something that could be worked around using wrapper
functions or macro definitions instead? That's the sort of thing i'd
recommend, if it's possible.

--
jim knoble
jmknoble@pobox.com
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Damien Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jim Knoble wrote:
>
> > : This could be worked around by liberal use of #ifdefs through the
> > : code, but this is something that I am loathe to do. One of my goals
> > : has been to keep the _source_ differences as small as possible between
> > : the OpenBSD source and my own.
> >
> > Damien, is this something that could be worked around using wrapper
> > functions or macro definitions instead? That's the sort of thing i'd
> > recommend, if it's possible.
>
> Possibly, this is the route I would prefer to take.
>
> Just to be clear - I _do_ want our port of OpenSSH to be IPv6 capable,
> just not for the 1.2.1.0 release. I feel that getting this working
> cross-platform would take too long. As always, I would be happy to be
> proved wrong :)

About how much of the code put into our version of the OpenASSH
port migrates back into the main CVS souce tree? If most of
it then at this point it should be easy to provide a patch
set to IPv6 and provide it out to the list for those who
want to attempt the inital port. Even if it's just locating
and building stubs into our current version to support IPv6
down the road.
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
Re: IPv6 support in OpenBSD CVS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 02:06:38AM -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> Even if it's just locating
> and building stubs into our current version to support IPv6
> down the road.

my IPv6 changes consist mostly of a replacement of the calls to
gethostbyname/inet_ntoa with the new getaddrinfo/getnameinfo API
from rfc 2553. sockaddr_in is replaced with sockaddr_storage
or sockaddr.

there is already a getaddrinfo-emulation for 'older' systems
in the original ipv6-patch from
ftp://ftp.kyoto.wide.ad.jp/pub/security/ssh/IPv6/
look for gai.h getaddrinfo.c getnameinfo.c and the configure
changes.

-markus