for a single appliance, that would be a bonus.

All suggestions for this scenario are most welcome!

Andrew Hilborne
Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
Andrew
for ARM-based solutions I think the RPI3 is a good option if you can add external storage on USB as the MMC is not suitable for writing long term data. On the RPI3 if you need the second ethernet you need to use a USB-based adapter

If you can wait until June, a new ADI Engineering board should come out and likely able to satisfy all your needs. Otherwise any PC-based solution (pcengines and up) can be a good option

Regards Luca

Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
Andrew

Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
On 1 May 2017 at 19:03, Luca Deri deri-at-ntop.org |ntop-flugle| <
1w76poiqot@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Andrew
> for ARM-based solutions I think the RPI3 is a good option if you can add
> external storage on USB as the MMC is not suitable for writing long term
> data. On the RPI3 if you need the second ethernet you need to use a
> USB-based adapter

?Luca,

At what level of traffic does the RPI3 start to max out, please? I
understand that number of flows and packet size are important here, but
this is a pretty small development office with a ~ 10-100Mbps downlink and
fairly standard traffic profiles.

Many thanks for your quick response.

Andrew?
Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew -

I'm currently using the following with an RB2011UiAS-RM on a
1Gbps/100Mbps link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007

Just a quick estimate based on RRD in Zenoss, CPU is sitting at around
95% idle _most of the time_, after about 15 months of history. I used
this little box as my home router w/OPNSense but once I moved to gig
fiber I couldn't pull more than 450mbit w/o any firewall rules and
upgraded to the RouterOS device. I fluctuate between ~15-25k hosts
depending on uptime and probably max out around 2-3k flows. Using mysql,
historical searches can become problematic beyond 2 weeks even with
SSD+8GB ram.

-j

Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
So, if I want to run ntopng Pro Linux/Win (x64) (the small business
addition) on something like a pc engines box, without a separate nprobe
box, do I need licenses for both nprobe *and* ntopng (assuming I'm
interested in the extra features)?

Andrew Hilborne

Re: Unclear hardware choices [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

nProbe and ntopng pro require separate licences, so if you want to run
both, even in the same box, you will need both.

Regards,
Emanuele