Mailing List Archive

Interface speeds on NTOP showing greater than interface
We've a mikrotik sending to nprobe and then on to ntopng.
The flow timeout on the mikrotik is set to 1minute which is the same on nprobe, but we're consistently seeing the traffic as showing a higher level than the maximum interface speed. i.e. we're seeing ~320Mbps reported on an interface which is limited to 250Mbps (and tested at that level)
What things should we be looking at to address this reporting of speeds?

Jason
Re: Interface speeds on NTOP showing greater than interface [ In reply to ]
Hi Jason,

What I can the tell you about that problem is the following.

ntopng in collector mode can only guess traffic rate from the flows it
receives from nProbe. If nProbe exports a lot of flows at once, ntopng
will consider that traffic as appearing all together, resulting into an
higher reported rate.

However, the average of the reported traffic rate should match your
actual traffic rate.

Regards,
Emanuele