Mailing List Archive

TX/RX display always identical.
Hello

I have ntopng with nProbe setup on a Ubuntu16 box, the full nBox setup from
the packages.ntop.org repo. I am exporting sflow data from a Fortigate 60D
(OS 5.4.3) to nProbe.

The problem I am having is the Local / Remote traffic is being reported as
the same amount / flow speed. Infact the Ingress and Egress is always
displayed as exactly half of the total throughput at that time. This is
true for the little widget at the bottom next to the rev counter for
ingress and egress and on the home page of a host, when clicked the "Sent
vs Received Traffic Breakdown" is always a perfect 50/50 ratio.

If I export flow data from a Mikrotik on a different network every thing
reports correctly.

What is a little unique on this network is that there are a few /26 subnets
of public IP Addresses behind this firewall. There is no natting. I have
set these subnets as local subnets in ntopng as you can tell from my config
below. The firewall on the WAN side has a public address and a few public
subnets on the LAN side. Would this cause issues with remote/local traffic
differentiation?

I have tried setting V5/V9 etc flow types same issue. I have enabled just
RX or TX from the Fortigate and these when individually enabled display
correctly.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

My configs:

root@ntopng:~# cat /etc/ntopng/ntopng.conf
-n=3
-w=3000
-W=0
-g=-1
-m="41.xx.xx.0/26,196.x.x.x/26"
-F=mysql;localhost;ntopng;flows;ntopuser;secretxxx
-d=/storage/ntopng
-G=/var/run/ntopng.pid
-i=tcp://127.0.0.1:5556

root@ntopng:~# cat /etc/nprobe/nprobe-ens18.conf
-n=none
-i=none
-3=2055
-s=128
-t=60
-d=60
-a=0
-e=1
-B=10
-w=128000
-z=0
-S=1:1
-E=0:0
-g=/var/run/nprobe-ens18.pid
--zmq=tcp://127.0.0.1:5556
-V=5
--dump-stats=/var/log/nprobe/ens18-0_flows_stats.txt

The fortigate was configured with the instructions here:
http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD36460

Thanks and Regards
Jean-Pierre Human
Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

If all the hosts seen fall in local networks, then you will see identical
counters local2remote and remote2local. Indeed, the same amount of traffic
is counted as egress (i.e., from a local network) and as ingress (i.e., to
a local network).

Can you please verify if flow src and dst are always in local networks.

Thanks

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Jean-Pierre,
as you using the latest development packages of ntopng and nprobe?

Luca

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Jean-Pierre,

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Sorry about creating a new thread I did not realise digest was on.

Firstly Luca's Question,

"as you using the latest development packages of ntopng and nprobe?
Luca"

To Answer Luca's question I am running the Stable repos, should I be
using Nightly?
ntopng x86_64 v.2.4.170202
nProbe v.7.4.170202 ($Revision: 5334 $)

Then

Simone Mainardi's response

"If all the hosts seen fall in local networks, then you will see identical
counters local2remote and remote2local. Indeed, the same amount of traffic
is counted as egress (i.e., from a local network) and as ingress (i.e., to
a local network).

Can you please verify if flow src and dst are always in local networks."

Hi Simone,

All our subnets which we define as local display as local under "Top Local
Talkers" on the Dashboard. All the remote connections to our locally
defined subnets are shown under "Top Remote Destinations" which seems
correct. To give you more info on the setup the servers on our locally
defined public subnets are public facing web, mailservers etc. With regards
to the flows it does correctly display the client / server fields as remote
or local depending on the direction of the connection.

Thanks
Jean-Pierre Human
Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Hi,
please move to nightly. We have made some changes that will likely solve
your issues and that will be included in the next stable

Regards Luca

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
Hi Luca

Upgraded to nightly however no changes, see the attached image.

https://imagebin.ca/v/3BnZuBaPazqu

Thanks

Jean-Pierre Human

Re: TX/RX display always identical. [ In reply to ]
please file a bug on github including all info for tracking the bug

Thanks Luca