Mailing List Archive

Routing in Local Network & Host Discovery
Andreas.Trawoeger wrote:
> This leads to Ntop discovering packets from computers in the local
subnet
> send with the MAC address of the Cisco (because they are routed to the

> firewall in step 2). After Ntop it starting it picks the first
computers
> name and IP address which is routed through the Cisco and then adds
the
> following IP addresses (which are routed too) under that name (which
> totally screws up host discovery and the session statistic).

I have the same kind of problem.
I want to monitor the traffic flow on a link between a router and a
switch. The problem is that ntop maps all traffic to the router MAC
address or switch MAC address and see them as multihomed hosts.
Any solution to this?
Is it possible to configure ntop to identify hosts by IP address instead
of MAC address?

I'm a newbie to ntop but like what I've seen so far.

--
Anders Eriksson Telephone: +46 8 764 1772
Ericsson Radio Systems AB ECN: 850 41772
RE: Routing in Local Network & Host Discovery [ In reply to ]
Yes, I have also the same problem .
My local subnet connects via a router to another subnet,
all traffic through the router is seen as coming from one host.
In the "Host info" that host has a lot of IP addresses.
Jac

Re: Routing in Local Network & Host Discovery [ In reply to ]
Jac Engel wrote:

> Yes, I have also the same problem .
> My local subnet connects via a router to another subnet,
> all traffic through the router is seen as coming from one host.
> In the "Host info" that host has a lot of IP addresses.

ok , same for me. But I'm sure this problem is recent, cause 2 month
ago, ntop worked fine with this configuration (last snapshot, Linux box
RH6.2)

I tried to rollback to some earlier release, but the problem keep going.

But if I compile on another linux box (this one being switched), all
_seems_ to run correctly.

So I guess there's something special on the first box. But I cannot
point what's changed.

What is your configuration ? (OS,ntop version,Hardware, connection type
... )

--
Frédéric Hermann | Société Ferma
Administrateur réseau, Ferma Grenoble | 31 ch. du vieux chêne
RE: Routing in Local Network & Host Discovery [ In reply to ]
Frederic,
I am using ntop 2.0 beta, on Solaris Sparc 8.0 on SUn Sparc Ultra 10
via hme0 ether interface. It is running fine
from the 2.0 beta release date in May.

Jac

Re: Routing in Local Network & Host Discovery [ In reply to ]
Jac,
please send me a traffic dump and a precise explaination of the problem.

Cheers, Luca