Mailing List Archive

configure script problems
For those who may be interested (the following applies to the
ntop-current.tgz cvs snapshot dated July 11, 2001):

I ran into a problem compiling ntop with gdbm-1.8.0. It seems that with
this package the file libgdbm.a is not left in the gdbm source
directory, which seems to be expected by the configure script. If
gdbm-1.7.3 is used there is no problem.

I had a terrible time getting ntop to recognize that I had gdbm
installed. I eventually had to specify the gdbm-1.7.3 directory
explicitly to the configure script with the --with-gdbm-root option.
Something weird with my system maybe? Anyway, that part seems happy,
although now I have other compile problems :(

Another possible problem: I get the message "warning: compilation of
ntop's plugins disabled via command line option!" during configure. It
looks to me from reading the configure script like this message is
displayed when the plugins are NOT disabled rather than when they are.
Is this just a typo or is there something I'm missing?

Lastly, there is another warning, although this one is probably not
specific to ntop as I have seen it when installing other packages. I
mention it here because it looks like it could be resolved with a change
to the ltconfig script and it might save someone else wondering about
it. I am not sure if anything sinister will happen if I ignore this
warning, if anyone knows please tell me. Anyway, the warning is:

*** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
*** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
*** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
*** as such. This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
*** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
*** libraries will work regardless of this problem. Nevertheless, you
*** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to
*** bug-libtool@gnu.org

And it seems to appear because the /usr/bin/file command run on my
/lib/libc-2.1.3.so library produces

/lib/libc-2.1.3.so: ELF 32-bit (SYSV) MSB shared object, PowerPC or
cisco 4500,
version 1, not stripped

which fails when run through the egrep in line 2096 of ltconfig, which
on my system evaluates to

egrep "ELF [0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB (shared object|dynamic lib )"

Does anyone know if anything nasty will happen if I ignore this warning?

Cheers,
Tania
Re: configure script problems [ In reply to ]
I hate to reply to my own mail but ...

> *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
> *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
> *** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
> *** as such. This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
> *** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
> *** libraries will work regardless of this problem. Nevertheless, you
> *** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to
> *** bug-libtool@gnu.org
>
> And it seems to appear because the /usr/bin/file command run on my
> /lib/libc-2.1.3.so library produces
>
> /lib/libc-2.1.3.so: ELF 32-bit (SYSV) MSB shared object, PowerPC or
> cisco 4500,
> version 1, not stripped
>
> which fails when run through the egrep in line 2096 of ltconfig, which
> on my system evaluates to
>
> egrep "ELF [0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB (shared object|dynamic lib )"
>
> Does anyone know if anything nasty will happen if I ignore this warning?

This was actually due to the version of /usr/bin/file I was using. The
latest (as far as I know) version, file-3.35, produces:

/lib/libc-2.1.3.so: ELF 32-bit (SYSV) MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco
4500,
version 1, not stripped

but when run on the very same file, file-3.27 produces:

/lib/libc-2.1.3.so: ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
version
1, not stripped

When ntop is compiled using file-3.35, there are a lot of warnings due to
the extra (SYSV) which is not expected by ltconfig as noted above. When
file-3.27 is used, ntop compiles cleanly.

Hopefully this will save someone else some of the problems I had. Would
someone who knows what they are doing like to take a stab at fixing
ltconfig? I tried, but got errors when I tried to run ntop :(

Tania