particularly when a motherboard with intergrated ethernet is flashed
with a BIOS upgrade. Some BIOS upgrades reset the MAC address to a
factory default. They painfully found this out once while updating a
school's network and endup with several duplicate MACs.

--
Anthony C Howe +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/ ICQ# 7116561
"Microsoft (cough, sputter, spit, !@#$%) ..."
RE: Q: Does ntop detect duplicate MAC addresses? [ In reply to ]
No one station can detect duplicate MAC addresses. It takes a device like a
switch, a router, or a smart netadmin to detect that.

Even seeing multiple packets with different IPs but the same MAC isn't
conclusive. You can put more than one IP address on a workstation.
(Although if none of *your* workstations are configured that way, you've got
it.)

--J