Mailing List Archive

Bailing Out
Hello,

I have spent 1 entire week trying to make NTOP work right. A complete week
devoted to NTOP. I tried, I really did try, but I am sorry, I am bailing out ...
And with a conclusion: This is the BUGGIEST SOFTWARE I have ever encountered on
*nix!

RH 7.1/6.2, kernel 2.4.2/2.2.16, PIII 866 MHz, 512MB RAM, 10 Mbps connection,
all NTOP versions (cvs, beta, stable, rpms), all pcap versions (0.4, 0.6.2, rpms),
all openssl versions (0.9.5, 0.9.6, 0.9.6a, rpms), all gdbm versions, all versions
of all software!

Could not get one compilation that would work properly as it is stated:
1. Dumps core right away, dumps core after few hours of usage, seg faults with
no core dumps ...
2. One version seg faults when ssl connected from Internet Explorer but works ok
from Netscape, another version does not seg fault but gives 'no data' ...
3. No version saves states between invocations.
4. Some version shows local usage fine, other version does not show anything.
5. The version that shows local usage fine show all hosts as a single host in
L->R, the version that shows L->R as it should be does not show local usage at
all.
6. Some versions work without specifying a filter, others don't.
7. Traffic shows double.

However, I know how to give credit when the credit is due: NTOP is a very nice
tool, many thanks to the developers.

I was planning to contribute some books from amazon.com, but after all those
problems that plagued my compilations, I guess I will send you some wood!

If anyone has it fully working with all the functions under RH 7.1, I would be
forever debtful if you can send me the binaries and info about the installed
software on your system. I am already bailing out, but I might consider a
comeback!

Have a good day!
Kury Maria Dartanyan

Maktoob.com presents the first Arabic Instant Messaging on the Web. http://www.maktoob.com
Re: Bailing Out [ In reply to ]
As my Dad always used to say, "don't let the door hit on the butt on your way
out."

Russell

RE: Bailing Out [ In reply to ]
Kury,
I have ntop running without any problem on RedHat 7.1. You have to download
an up to date libcap before the whole thing would work. Did not experience
any core dump at all.

Here is what I have:

ntop-01-06-02.tgz
libcap-0.6.2.tar.gz

Francis Pintos

RE: Bailing Out [ In reply to ]
hello.... i have ntop latest stable running flawlessly under 2 machines...
one is a redhat 7.0 with standard kernel and one a rh 7.1 standard kernel. i
use a p266mmx on he rh7 and a athlon 1.2ghz on the rh7.1
all i did was install libcap (latest rpm off rpmfind.net) install openssl
.9.6a and install ntop latest rpm from rpmfind.net ... in tat order.. i had
to reboot fr some rason after i installed it .. ten it wored from Ie, from
netscape and from opera just fine.. i CAN send you the binary from each
system if you want to....

//Kind regards Florian

Q u a r t a l O y

Florian Rommel, Senior System Administrator
mobile +358 [0]424 258 253
fax +358 [0]424 258 360

http://www.quartal.com
Re: Bailing Out [ In reply to ]
Hello,
I'm running ntop on 7.0 on redhat 7.0...although i've had number of
problems with previous versions, the 2.0beta release appears to be more
stable (it ran for 2 full days until i had to reboot my machine for
unrelated reasons). BUT...don't try to access the "stats" page on the
browser interface. It appears that accessing some of the functions through
that page core dump NTOP immediately. However, reading replies to your
posts got me thinking...i've only used IE5 to access the web
intrerface...i'll try Netscape, hopefully i'll get better results....
good luck