Mailing List Archive

Various NTOP Questions / Problems
Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you for this great tool.

I am sorry to bother you all with this long mail but we have few problems with
NTOP:

1. NTOP dumps core when accessed on SSL port. Please see some info from gdb
below. RH 7.1 system, OpenSSL version 0.9.6. Every things else related to SSL
works fine on our system. We tried ntop rpm from powertools 7.1 cd and
ntop-beta-2105 with stock certificate and our certicate. Both dumps core. We would
appreciate if someone can help out on this.

2. Dumped core file is 150MB -- our ulimit for core files is 1MB in bash. Why
is the core file not adhering to the maximun core file size?

3. How can we save states between ntop invocations. We use -S1 switch.
However, when we shut ntop down and restart it, the counters start from zero again
instead of starting from last values. We need to get the total data transfers.

4. When we use daemon mode with -d, ntop is not logging anything. How can we
log ntop information?

5. We are running a P3 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM with Ultra160 SCSI drives on a
10MBPS connection. Does NTOP have any effect on network traffic? Currently, when I
look at the statistics, for example, I see packet total about 10 million and 0
dropped by NTOP and 0 dropped by kernel.

6. How can we restrict access to web interface of NTOP username and password
style?

7. Why does L->L does not show any traffic? We have for example, ssh tunnelled
through localhost and this is supposed to show on counters but it does not.

8. Why does LOCAL NETWORK USAGE BY PROCESS not show any SENT or RECEIVED data
per process? It would be excellent if we could see how much traffic is being
generated -- for example, say socks5 or httpd.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and patience. So far the results
we get from NTOP is excellent and we are planning to deploy it large scale on our
servers if we can get it work the way we want.

Kury

----gdb----------
# gdb /usr/sbin/ntop ./core
GNU gdb 5.0rh-5 Red Hat Linux 7.1
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `ntop ip -w 901 -P /var/ntop/ -m 10.10.10.0/24 -W 563
-S1'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libntopreport-2.0.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libntopreport-2.0.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/libm.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libgd.so.1.8...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libgd.so.1.8
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libpng.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libz.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libssl.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libssl.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0...done.

warning: Unable to set global thread event mask: generic error
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 4406)]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Can't attach LWP 4406: No such process
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libresolv.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnsl.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libdl.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libntop-2.0.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libntop-2.0.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libttf.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libttf.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/icmpPlugin.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/icmpPlugin.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/lastSeenPlugin.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/lastSeenPlugin.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/nfsPlugin.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/nfsPlugin.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/rmonPlugin.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/rmonPlugin.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/wapPlugin.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/ntop/plugins/wapPlugin.so
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_dns.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_dns.so.2
#0 0x17bba90e in __select () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb) quit

Express Your Opinion on Maktoob Forum, the First Voice and Text Discussions, http://www.maktoob.com