Mailing List Archive

Send nprobe output to file - nprobe -P ?
I'm trying to send nprobe output to a file (preferably in JSON format). From the user guide, I'm guessing that's the -P option, but no matter what I do, I get an error stating - Sorry, the path you specified with -P is invalid.  I created a directory with 777 permission.  Could someone please provide a sample of how to use nprobe -P ? or how to output flows to a file?  I only need a small sample of flows on this file for testing.
Re: Send nprobe output to file - nprobe -P ? [ In reply to ]
David,
you need to use -P <dir>, but when you start nprobe, the user is nobody so this can be the problem. See also

--dont-drop-privileges | Do not drop privileges changing to user nobody
--unprivileged-user <name> | Use <name> instead of nobody when dropping privileges

This said with -P you have text file, no JSON that instead can be exported
--json-to-syslog | Export flows in JSON format to syslog
--json-labels | In case JSON label is used (e.g. with ZMQ)
--tcp <server:port> | Deliver flows in JSON format to the specified server via TCP.

to syslog, TCP or ELK.

What is the use case exactly?

Regards Luca

Re: Send nprobe output to file - nprobe -P ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Luca,
I got the output to text file working.  Use case is that we have a developer trying to integrate nprobe output to an application they're working on. The developer asked us to provide sample output in JSON format.  Any trick to do that?
Thanks!
David
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018, 3:54:11 PM CDT, Luca Deri <deri@ntop.org> wrote:

[...]

Ntop-misc mailing list
Ntop-misc@listgateway.unipi.it

Re: Send nprobe output to file - nprobe -P ? [ In reply to ]
David
the dump to disk in text file has been done for batch DB import whereas JSON for export to apps. Like I have said you can use —tcp and create a small app (e.g. see https://pymotw.com/2/socket/tcp.html <https://pymotw.com/2/socket/tcp.html>) that can receive JSON as requested

Regards Luca