Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation
Hi,

Ntopng is great, but sometimes is dificult for me identifying the user who is using more bandwith than it should.

In the traffic dashboard view, it fluctuates a lot, everytime the web refreshes (3 seconds), the top 10 hosts change, if a user is dowloading a file at 300mbps, it should be on the top all the time. Also sometimes I can see impossible data (one host using more than 1gbit/s on a gigabit ethernet).

I am not sure if this is a ntopng problem, a nprobe problem, a netflow problem, or if I am missing something in my configuration.

Here you can see an animated gif of what happens: https://gfycat.com/WeightyCarefreeAfricanwilddog

And this is my configuration:

[root@ntopng ~]# cat /etc/ntopng/ntopng.conf
-G=/var/run/ntopng.pid
--local-networks="192.168.0.0/16,91.xxxx"
--interface="tcp://127.0.0.1:5556"

[root@ntopng ~]# cat /etc/nprobe/nprobe-none.conf
--zmq="tcp://127.0.0.1:5556"
--collector-port=9996
-g=/var/run/nprobe-none.pid
-i=none
-n=none
--collector-sample-rate=1000
--upscale-traffic
-T="%IPV4_SRC_ADDR %IPV4_DST_ADDR %IPV4_SRC_MASK %IPV4_DST_MASK %L4_SRC_PORT %L4_DST_PORT %IPV6_SRC_ADDR %IPV6_DST_ADDR %IPV6_SRC_MASK %IPV6_DST_MASK %IP_PROTOCOL_VERSION %SRC_TOS %PROTOCOL %ICMP_TYPE %INPUT_SNMP %SRC_AS %DST_AS %IPV4_NEXT_HOP %IPV6_NEXT_HOP %TCP_FLAGS %OUTPUT_SNMP %IN_BYTES %IN_PKTS %OUT_BYTES %OUT_PKTS %MIN_TTL %MAX_TTL %FIRST_SWITCHED %LAST_SWITCHED %SRC_VLAN %DST_VLAN %DOT1Q_SRC_VLAN %DOT1Q_DST_VLAN %EXPORTER_IPV4_ADDRESS %IN_SRC_MAC %OUT_DST_MAC"
-V 9

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Javier Narvaez
Re: Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation [ In reply to ]
Hi Javier,

What ntopng and nprobe version are you using? If you are using sFlow,
please check out the latest ntopng and nprobe development versions as
they contain improvements on the sFlow protocol handling.

Regards,
Emanuele

Re: Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation [ In reply to ]
Hi Emanuele,

I'm using the latest in offical repos (updated today) and I still experience the same problem:

[root@ntopng ~]# rpm -qa | egrep 'nprobe|ntopng'
ntopng-3.3.180209-3902.x86_64
nprobe-8.3.180209-6051.x86_64
ntopng-data-3.3.180209-3902.noarch

Kind regards,
Javier

Enviados: Viernes, 9 de Febrero 2018 11:16:55
Asunto: Re: [Ntop-misc] Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation

Re: Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The --collector-sample-rate and --upscale-traffic are not supported
anymore in nProbe. If you are using sFlow, then the sampling rate is
already indicated into the packets nProbe receives, so packets are
automatically scaled.

Intead, if you are using NetFlow and the NetFlow traffic itself is
sampled, please look at the --sample-rate nProbe option.

Please also look at your exporter flow export timeouts and
configuration; it may happen that a lot of flows are exported at once so
when ntopng computes the deltas it will see a lot of traffic within a
small period of time. You can also tweak the interface speed and
dashboard refresh timeouts by clicking the footer throughput bar.

Regards,
Emanuele

Re: Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm using sflow, data comes from a pair of Arista switches, so I have removed --collector-sample-rate and --upscale-traffic.

This is the configuration in both Arista switches:
sflow sample dangerous 2000
sflow destination 192.168.0.3 9996
sflow source 192.168.0.245
sflow run

Maybe the sample rate is too low?

Polling interval is not set, so it is using 2 secs as default value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Javier Narváez

Enviados: Viernes, 9 de Febrero 2018 14:37:10

Re: Fwd: Ntopng high fluctuation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Please check out the new ntopng and nprobe versions which address some
problems with sflow.

Regards,
Emanuele