Mailing List Archive

nscrub problems
HI all,

I have an nscrub setup on an LTS16. The config is routing/assymetric
mode. I have a few problems and questions:

- When I stop nscrub the nscrub-VM is left at a cripppled state where it
can't even ping IPs that are on connected interfaces (ex the gateway).
Why is that? How can i avoid this?
- The white/black/gray dynamic lists are always empty when mitigating
even when nscrub drops attack packets. I'm reading with

attackers?target_id=pc\&action=list\&profile=black\&list=dynamic

- When pinging from the internet a host defined as a target in scrub, I
can see many packets are delayed.
64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=1 ttl=125 time=2.42 ms
64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=2 ttl=125 time=3002 ms
64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=3 ttl=125 time=2002 ms
64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=4 ttl=125 time=1002 ms
64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=5 ttl=125 time=3.09 ms
This also happens when the target is in bypass enabled mode. Why this
happens and how can i avoid this?

- UDP packets are dropped even when I have default action "drop
disable". Is this a bug? See the below snippet, where I try to disable
udp/src/53/drop. It accepts the command but it there is not result.

root@nscrub:~# nscrub-export all

target pc profile DEFAULT udp src 53 drop enable

root@nscrub:~# curl -u admin:admin
http://127.0.0.1:8880/profile/udp/src/53/accept?target_id=pc\&profile=default\&action=disable
{ "envelope_ver": "1.0", "hostname": "katharistis", "epoch": 1512284852,
"status": 200, "description": "OK", "data": { "function":
"\/profile\/udp\/src\/53\/accept", "return": "success" } }root@nscrub:~#
root@nscrub:~# nscrub-export all
target pc profile DEFAULT udp src 53 drop enable

- What is the suggested config for mitigating DNS attacks? The victim
still needs to be able to do DNS requests and get the answers. Keep in
mind that nscrub does not see the DNS requests from the victim (assym mode).

- Is the mitigation capabilities of nscrub efficient when I redirect an
attacked IP, through nscrub in realtime or nscrub needs time to profile
a "first seen IP" before mitigating attacks?

- As far as i understand, nscrub tests IPs using some algorithms and
classifies the IPs to the white/black/grey list. Is that right?

Sp
Re: nscrub problems [ In reply to ]
Hi Spiros
please read my answers below.

> On 3 Dec 2017, at 08:15, Spiros Papageorgiou <papage@noc.ntua.gr> wrote:
>
> HI all,
>
> I have an nscrub setup on an LTS16. The config is routing/assymetric mode. I have a few problems and questions:
> - When I stop nscrub the nscrub-VM is left at a cripppled state where it can't even ping IPs that are on connected interfaces (ex the gateway). Why is that? How can i avoid this?

Please provide your nscrub configuration file (or cli), ifconfig, and cat /proc/net/pf_ring/dev/ethX/info for the interface you are using in nscrub.
(feel free to write to my email address directly if you don’t want to share your data on the ml)
> - The white/black/gray dynamic lists are always empty when mitigating even when nscrub drops attack packets. I'm reading with
> attackers?target_id=pc\&action=list\&profile=black\&list=dynamic

Please send me your target configuration, you can dump it with nscrub-export
> - When pinging from the internet a host defined as a target in scrub, I can see many packets are delayed.
> 64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=1 ttl=125 time=2.42 ms
> 64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=2 ttl=125 time=3002 ms
> 64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=3 ttl=125 time=2002 ms
> 64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=4 ttl=125 time=1002 ms
> 64 bytes from x.y.z.130: icmp_seq=5 ttl=125 time=3.09 ms
> This also happens when the target is in bypass enabled mode. Why this happens and how can i avoid this?

I need to see the nscrub configuration as above.
> - UDP packets are dropped even when I have default action "drop disable". Is this a bug? See the below snippet, where I try to disable udp/src/53/drop. It accepts the command but it there is not result.
> root@nscrub:~# nscrub-export all
>
> target pc profile DEFAULT udp src 53 drop enable
>
> root@nscrub:~# curl -u admin:admin http://127.0.0.1:8880/profile/udp/src/53/accept?target_id=pc\&profile=default\&action=disable <http://127.0.0.1:8880/profile/udp/src/53/accept?target_id=pc\&profile=default\&action=disable>
> { "envelope_ver": "1.0", "hostname": "katharistis", "epoch": 1512284852, "status": 200, "description": "OK", "data": { "function": "\/profile\/udp\/src\/53\/accept", "return": "success" } }root@nscrub:~#
> root@nscrub:~# nscrub-export all
> target pc profile DEFAULT udp src 53 drop enable

http://127.0.0.1:8880/profile/udp/src/53/accept?target_id=pc\&profile=default\&action=disable <http://127.0.0.1:8880/profile/udp/src/53/accept?target_id=pc%5C&profile=default%5C&action=disable>

Please note that you are using “accept" instead of “drop” in the url, I recommend you using nscrub-cli which is more clear.
> - What is the suggested config for mitigating DNS attacks? The victim still needs to be able to do DNS requests and get the answers. Keep in mind that nscrub does not see the DNS requests from the victim (assym mode).

There are a few settings to mitigate DNS attacks that apply to requests:
dns request check_method <method>
dns request rate src [PPS]
dns request rate transaction_id [PPS]
dns request threshold [PPS]
dns request type NUM drop [enable|disable]

As of answers, all you can do is to configure UDP rating:

udp rate src [PPS]
udp rate dst [PPS]
> - Is the mitigation capabilities of nscrub efficient when I redirect an attacked IP, through nscrub in realtime or nscrub needs time to profile a "first seen IP" before mitigating attacks?

With the current algorithms, you can redirect the IP on demand.
> - As far as i understand, nscrub tests IPs using some algorithms and classifies the IPs to the white/black/grey list. Is that right?

Yes, some of the algorithms work this way.

Alfredo