Mailing List Archive

pfring version issues
Dear All,

I am trying to use the pfring zc drivers and libraries to speed up
packet capturing for a network analysis application.
After using the newest version of the pfring driver from the github repo
(using make install and the load_driver script), I wanted to switch back
to a stable branch, namely 7.0.0-stable. I removed every file related to
pfring (and pf_ring and ixgbe) and also checked manually if all libs and
drivers are removed. Than I switched to the stable branch, and rebuild
and reinstalled kernel modules, libs and drivers. Now, all of the
included userland applications ([pf,z]count among others) report that I
am using PF_RING 7.0. Also cat /proc/net/pf_ring/info shows me I am
using 7.0.0.

The problem is that my application reports I am still using PF_RING
7.1.0 (in the "no valid license...demo mode" message). I did recompile
the application from scratch after the pfring reinstall process.
Does anyone have any hint why my application thinks I am using PF_RING
7.1.0 altough I only have 7.0.0 modules, libs and drivers installed?

For the record:
I am using Ubuntu 16.04.3 with kernel 4.4.0-98-generic and Intel 82599ES
NICs with ixgbe drivers.

thanks and regards,

Felix
Re: pfring version issues [ In reply to ]
Hi Felix
please make sure your application is not linking the wrong pfring
library (not sure if you are using static or dynamic linking), I do not
see any other possible reason.

Best Regards
Alfredo

Re: pfring version issues [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

thx for the hint. It helped me solve the issue.
The problem was that I was assuming that by making and installing like
described in the git repo README all libs, headers would be installed
and old ones overwritten. So I did not adapt the build process when
using PF_RING, assuming that all required stuff would be in the standard
locations and thus be found by the building process. As a result it did
find all symbols, but obviously not from the right libs.

Now I adapted the building process by using the libs directly from the
PF_RING folder (git repo) and it works as expected. I basically followed
the building process that your Makefile is using for the program
userland/examples/pfcount.c.

Thanks and regards

Felix