Mailing List Archive

nprobe zc or not?
Hi all,

I just discovered an oddity in my nprobe logs:
I start nprobe with "-i zc:enp2s0f0" assuming it is than using pf_ring
zero copy to read from my intel 10gig NIC.
In the output nprobe complains about me not having pf_ring zc license
(which is true), but promises to capture for 5 minutes nevertheless,
which is what I expected.
The odd thing is that a couple of lines later in the output it says:

"[pro/pf_ring.c:213] Reading packets using PF_RING in 1 copy mode"

As far as I understood pf_ring 1 copy mode is not zero copy mode.
With other tools like pfcount the zero copy mode seems to work
flawlessly so I assume to have installed all the necessary pf_ring zc
stuff correctly. I am using nProbe Pro v.8.1.170903 and pfring 6.7.0.
The manual does not say anything about zero copy mode, but the nprobe
homepage says that nprobe has native pfring zero copy support.

What should I make of the above message? Is nprobe, in this case,
working in zc mode or not?

regards

Felix