Mailing List Archive

Question regarding filtering using software hash filtering rule
Hello,

I have a situation where not all of the received packets are counted
as filtered, and I would like to better understand why.
To better understand it, I've done a controlled experiment, where
after the software hash filtering rule was added on a specific
5-tuple, I send exactly 5000 packets on the same 5-tuple. All packets
received by the same ring.
When I look at the ring info file, I see that "Sw Filt Hash Match"
increases by 4955 exactly. (Its the same number whenever I repeat the
experiment on the same filter). Which means 45 packets are not
counted. No other statistics parameter can explain the missing 45
packets, not in the ring info file (e.g. "Sw Filt Hash Miss") and not
by using "ethtool -S" on the interface (although by using ethtool -S I
see that all 5000 packets are definitely received to the NIC).
When looking deeply into the replayed pcap, I see a high correlation
between the number of missing packets (i.e. 45) and the number of
packets that are "TCP Segment of a reassembled PDU" (by wireshark).
My rss rehash set to 1.

Questions:
1. Any explanation for packets that are not counted by "Sw Filt Hash
Match" (and not by any other parameter)?
2. Does the "TCP Segment of a reassembled PDU" could explain it somehow?
3. Could it be a behavioral change compared to previous pf_ring
versions (e.g. 6.0.3)?

Thanks,
Amir
Re: Question regarding filtering using software hash filtering rule [ In reply to ]
Hi Amir
could you provide a pcap and the commands (baed on our examples) to test what you are doing?

Thank you
Alfredo

Re: Question regarding filtering using software hash filtering rule [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Have you disabled CPU offload features from the NIC with ethtool?

--- sent from mobile

Re: Question regarding filtering using software hash filtering rule [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Apparently, it was an MTU issue.

Thanks (and sorry)