Now we want to replay them on a 10 Gbps interface at different
"transmit rates", e.g. 10 Gbps, 5 Gbps, 1 Gbps, 500 Mbps - meaning
the sent data volume according to those rates.

Only adjusting the inter packet time would not help, right?
Is there a way to easily achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Marcel
Re: disk2n : Replay at different "transmit rates" [ In reply to ]
Hi Marcel
adjusting the inter packet time should actually work, increasing it for getting 5 Gbit

[--inter-packet-time|-I] <nsec>

Please let me know if you are able to make it work, or if you need something different.

Regards
Alfredo

Re: disk2n : Replay at different "transmit rates" [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo

Having a 10 Gbps interface and inter-packet-time = 0 nsec would give us “full speed”.
I agree, increasing the inter-packet-time would throttle the transmitted volume.

Choosing the right value for it is the problem.
This value must be calculated with the average packet length of a pcap file and the desired volume.
Do I understand this correctly?

Or is there another, simpler way to achieve this?

Re: disk2n : Replay at different "transmit rates" [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2017, at 18:17, Lüthi Marcel FUB <Marcel.Luethi@vtg.admin.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Alfredo
>
> Having a 10 Gbps interface and inter-packet-time = 0 nsec would give us “full speed”.
> I agree, increasing the inter-packet-time would throttle the transmitted volume.
>
> Choosing the right value for it is the problem.
> This value must be calculated with the average packet length of a pcap file and the desired volume.
> Do I understand this correctly?

Correct, you need the avg.

> Or is there another, simpler way to achieve this?

At the moment this is the only way. For something more user friendly we need to extend disk2n.

Regards
Alfredo

Re: disk2n : Replay at different "transmit rates" [ In reply to ]
Good morning Alfredo

Thank you for your answers!
So we will go this way and see how exact the result will be.

Regards,
Marcel