I am using PFRING 6.2.0 and enabled fragmentation in PFRING but PFRING is
not giving a callback on the attached packets having two fragments (first
fragment is smaller and latter one is bigger).
Can you please help us to understand how does fragmentation work in PFRING.

How many simultaneous ip fragments it can cater(hash size) and what is the
timeout for fragments?

Regards,
C.G.
Re: PFRING not giving callback for fragmented packets if frag enabled in PFRING [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
a few quesitons:
- are you talking about defragmentation?
- what do you mean with "callback”?
- what drivers are you using?
Please note that in case of defragmentation, the pf_ring kernel module is using the linux ip_defrag() functionality.

Alfredo

Re: PFRING not giving callback for fragmented packets if frag enabled in PFRING [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

Let me rephrase the problem I am facing some problem when fragmentation is
enabled in PFRING.

Please find the attachment trace where there are total 18 fragmented
packets(9 complete packets), out of which PFRING is assembling only 1.

These packets having some padding bytes which PFRING seems not able to
decode and assemble correctly.

Regards,
Chandrika

Re: PFRING not giving callback for fragmented packets if frag enabled in PFRING [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
in PF_RING we rely on kernel defragmentation routines, it’s not our code. As the kernel code is designed to work per socket and not in in the wild, this could be the issue. I suggest to defragment in user-space as your traffic seems to be heavily fragmented (BTW why don’t you increase the MTU?)

Luca

Re: PFRING not giving callback for fragmented packets if frag enabled in PFRING [ In reply to ]
Thanks for quick reply.
Our application is monitoring some traffic passively so increasing MTU will
not help here.

Regards,
Chandrika