Mailing List Archive

What does the nprobe --nf parameter do?
Appendix C of the nprobe user guide specifies the --nf parameter in a couple of the example commands. What does it do? I can't see it described anywhere in the guide.

Peter Shute
Re: What does the nprobe --nf parameter do? [ In reply to ]
I believe I have solved this myself. To elaborate, page 44 in the current nProbe_UserGuide.pdf lists sample commands for three modes of nProbe use. The command listed for collector mode is "nprobe -nf-collector-port 2055"

Because there is no --nf-collector-port parameter described in the manual, I assumed that given there is an em dash used in place of a double dash, perhaps it was a misprint, and that it meant "--nf --collector-port 2055". I tried adding a --nf parameter to my command, and nProbe behaved differently (appeared to override the "-i none" parameter).

I have found this parameter description in an older version of the user guide (nProbe and nBox User's Guide v.4.0):
[--nf-collector-port|-3] <port> | NetFlow collector port
and this appears to have been renamed in the latest user guide (v.6.16):
[--collector-port|-3] <port> | NetFlow/IPFIX/sFlow collector flows port

I will submit an issue requesting this be corrected in the user guide.

How the presence of the erroneous --nf parameter was interpreted by nProbe can remain a mystery.

Re: What does the nprobe --nf parameter do? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for reporting the problem. This needs to be fixed as you pointed out

Regards Luca

Sent from my iPad