I met with some problem during the compilation with
this file dev.c in the net/core folder.

It seems like the export_symbol has not correctly
exported.

Can you help me on this?

Sincerely,
SK

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL(ring_handler) Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi SK,
this in fact is a problem with recent 2.6 kernels. It has been tackled
already in the version under development that we plan to release soon.
For the time being, please use the prebuilt kernel.

Cheers, Luca

SK Gan wrote:

>Dear Luca,
>
>I met with some problem during the compilation with
>this file dev.c in the net/core folder.
>
>It seems like the export_symbol has not correctly
>exported.
>
>Can you help me on this?
>
>Sincerely,
>SK

Luca Deri <deri@ntop.org> http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being
clever about it - Richard Stallman
Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL(ring_handler) Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Luca,

Thanks for your reply! Actucally i am using the kernel
version 2.4.23 which i downloaded fresh from
kernel.org. The error messages are:

dev.c:118: parse error before
`this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'
dev.c:118: warning: type defaults to `int' in
declaration of
`this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'
dev.c:118: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class

For your information, I have put ring.h in place, and
replaced both sock.h, and dev.c. during compilation,
the above messages will come out. am i missing
something important here? did you change your Makefile
to work with your source?

My first thought was to comment out the export_symbol
but it turns out that ring.o will complaint the
missing of ring_handler symbole when i tried to load
it as module.

Would you continue to update your works on 2.4.x
kernel?

Another problem is related to the rtirq which stated
in your paper. i have problem in compilation as well
(may found the messages in my previous posting). i
would appreciate if you can let me know the
modification on the source (if there is any). (sorry
for asking this question here).

Thank you! Your advice are very much appreciated :)

Regards,
SK

Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL(ring_handler) Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi folks,

* SK Gan <skgan60@yahoo.com> [2004-04-21 16:38]:
> dev.c:118: parse error before
> `this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'
> dev.c:118: warning: type defaults to `int' in
> declaration of
> `this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'
> dev.c:118: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class

I've had the same problem when building 2.4.26 with PF_RING. You can
solve it by adding dev.o to the export-objs line in the Makefile.

I've also reformatted the kernel and libpcap changes made by Luca into
diff files (which should be easier to handle for most users), you can
find the patches for Linux 2.4.26, Linux 2.6.5 and libpcap 0.8.1 at

http://op-co.de/pfring/

The patches seem to work (at least I get the magic "RING: " line when
starting tcpdump), but I had no time for thorough testing.

Have fun with them and report bugs :)

regards,
Georg
--
Georg Lukas
Entwicklung

intergenia AG
Leyboldstraße 10
50354 Hürth

E-Mail: g.lukas@intergenia.de
GPG-Key: 53AADF25
GPG-Fingerprint: 2D17 B383 EE56 3FD7 FCF0 ED2D 300E 17C8 53AA DF25
Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL(ring_handler) Problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Georg,

Marvelous! Thanks for the information and patches!

I'll try it out right away.

Best Regards,
SK

--- Georg Lukas - intergenia AG